Westley's White wall cleaner

Started by robert p millian, August 22, 2007, 10:25:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Quote from: David #19063 on August 30, 2007, 06:50:07 PM
For years and years, I use a brass brush and spray on Chlorox Clean-up.  Works great.

But all of my cars have blackwall tires now and that is even better (and easier).

Dear Robert:

The reason why this is working for you is that the major ingerdient in Clorox "Clean-Up"
is sodium hydroxide (also known as lye) which is a very strong cleaning agent.  I
personally would not use this (it's the major ingredient in oven cleaners).

It contains just 2% of bleach (sodium hypoclloride) for disinfecting purposes so that
Clorox Inc. can make that claim that it "kills germs".  Germs on your whitewalls are
normally not a problem !!!

Mike

1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

David #19063

Hi Mike,

LOL!  Now I know why my white wall tires never make me sick...no germs.

You're right, it probably is not a good idea...but it does work wonders on old disclored WW's.

David

David #19063
1996 DeVille Concours

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

By the way to you all -- went  down to my local discount auto store today
and he still has plenty of Westley's in stock.  I bought two gallons --which
should last me for the next 20 years or more -- far beyond when I'll need it.
I paid about $10 per gallon.

So -- message is -- buy it now if you want /need it !!  It doesn't go bad.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Johnny F #662

Quote from: Mike Josephic on September 03, 2007, 12:12:04 AM
By the way to you all -- went  down to my local discount auto store today
and he still has plenty of Westley's in stock.  I bought two gallons --which
should last me for the next 20 years or more -- far beyond when I'll need it.
I paid about $10 per gallon.

So -- message is -- buy it now if you want /need it !!  It doesn't go bad.

Mike

You should have bought it all.  It would be just like buying "Westley's" futures.  Who knows in less then 5 years with Westley's in limited supply, you could easily double your money.  If whitewalls become popular again, you could easily triple or even quadruple your initial investment.

Derek J. Sherwood

I tried buying whitewalls for my '98 Chrysler Sebring Convertible.  Size was P255-65-R16.  

Could not find any anywhere in that size, even by special order.

Sucks, that car would have looked nice with whitewalls.

Derek

76eldo

I have been playing with cars for 35 years, and nothing ever worked better than Wesley's.  This is sad news.  I will be stocking up on it, and if this is a rumor to boost sales, so be it.

I need my Wesley's!

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
CLC # 22443
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

EAM CLC17806

FRIENDS!  Why is it that after I clean my whitewalls with Westley's cleaner,SOS pads and/or 409 cleaner the whitewalls gain a light yellowish tint to them after a few days? This has happened with my Firestone and Dimension tires too. Any thoughts?

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Quote from: EAM CLC17806 on October 04, 2007, 07:41:14 PM
FRIENDS!  Why is it that after I clean my whitewalls with Westley's cleaner,SOS pads and/or 409 cleaner the whitewalls gain a light yellowish tint to them after a few days? This has happened with my Firestone and Dimension tires too. Any thoughts?

Response:

It's because the background (base) rubber migrates up through the white-wall and
gives it that "yellow" or "brownish" appearance.  See my earlier post about this in this
this same group of posts.

Better whitewalls have a "barrier" sandwiched in between the black background and the
white outer white-wall to help prevent his. This isn't a new problem.

BTY, you don't say how old your tires are -- the older they are, especially after 10+
years the worse this problem gets.  Not much you can do at that point except keep
cleaning them -- no permanent cure is available.  Tires, especially if you drive your cars
at highway speeds, should be replaced after 6+ years (10 max) anyway -- they aren't safe
to drive after that unless you have a trailer queen that goes just 100 miles per year
if that.  After 6 years or so, the rubber compounds degrade to the point that their
resistance to heat is about gone -- so accidents (blow outs, tread separations, etc)
become very likely.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
2011 Buick Lucerne CX

Andrew Zizolfo CLC#5011

Try Westley's on rubber floor mats! They come out like brand new!
Andy

ljohnson

This is late, but I just had to add my two cents worth here.  I have five cars and will not drive or own a car without White Wall Tires - and yes, they are still available sometimes at a high price. But no matter what they cost, A Cadillac does not look right without them.  As for Wesley's cleaner, I have been using it for about thirty years and it is a must in my garage.  I remember the days of some kind of cleaner that looked like a bowl of jelly and I used a brass brush with it - back in 1954.