News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Need some help with a 1959

Started by StrayCat59, August 22, 2007, 06:11:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StrayCat59

I have had this car for about 6 months, bought it out of a car museum in Utah. The problem I am having is finding those HUGE trim clips that holds that wide piece of trim on the deck lid,( the piece that covers the trunk lock cylinder). I have searched EVERYWHERE to no avail. The car is almost done as far as the restoration process, but this is beginning to upset me. It's like that thorn in the side everytime i go out to see her, and that is every 15 minutes or so. ( i am obsessed yes, but I have wanted a 59 cadillac since I was 5 and saw the black one in the muppett movie, and i am 27 now, so there is a SEVERE emotional attachment). does anybody know where thses things can be found? Is there any company out there that replicates them?

And secondly, does anyone know what the ride height is supposed to be on a 59 4 door flat top? I think the suspension has settled a bit, and i don't think it is where it needs to be.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
William Graf

John Morris #23947

I would fabricate the molding clips and be done with it. No more suffering, phone calls, let downs, just make them.
71 Olds 98 LS, 66 Fairlane 500 XL Convertible, 55 Packard Clipper Super, 58 Edsel Ranger, 72 Cheyenne Super, many 49-60 parts cars, abandoned "House Of Doom" full of 49-60 parts. Huge piles of engine parts, brackets, tin, Hydramatic & Jetaway parts,  thousands of stainless moldings, dozens of perfect sedan doors.

ronw

Hi William,

Funny you should say that, but the Muppet movie is what got me hooked on '59s too. I'm now 35 and the proud owner of a '59 coupe.

Ron
Ron in Sydney, Australia
1959 Series 62 Coupe
1970 Eldorado

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: John Morris #23947 on August 22, 2007, 06:43:30 PM
I would fabricate the molding clips and be done with it. No more suffering, phone calls, let downs, just make them.

I'm with John,

Make them yourself, but before you use them, get them Cadmium or Zinc plated so they won't rust and leave nasty little streaks on the paintwork.

Bruce.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

35-709

I believe the ride height is in the first section your '59 Shop Manual.  If you are serious about having a '59 (or any older car) a Shop Manual is a MUST!  I let mine go with my '60 ('59 Manual + '60 Supplement) when I sold it or I would give you the numbers.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Qaanik

Hi William and Ron,

Nice to see 2 other Generation Xers enjoying '59s! I dunno what exactly got me hooked on 59's...Muppet Movie could be possible!

William-I got my car out of a museum in Salt Lake City...I wonder if it's the same place?!

Here's sedan ride heights from my shop manual:

body style numbers 6029, 6229, 6329: 56.2"
6239, 6339: 53.7"

1959 Coupe DeVille
1972 Coupe DeVille

StrayCat59

Yeah, mine was from Salt Lake City as well. These boys had quite a few of them, so my guess is that they are from the same place.lol. Funny.

Yeah, I guess fabricating them myself might just be the best thing. They don't seem too hard to do. I got the power seat working again today, and installed the new lenses in the lower front bumper. I hate to say it, but i may be putting air shocks on the back. It has new shocks on it, and someone has put spring helpers in it, but it still bottoms out if i hit a dip in an overpass. So my guess is the springs are about shot.
Thanks for all the help guys.

Oh yeah, one more thing while i am on it. Did these cars come with seatbelts in 59? There are none in it, i was just wondering if it was a standard item in those days.
William Graf

ronw

William,
I am trying to sort out the seat belt question too. They were shown in the accessories catalog for 1959 - check here:
http://www.modifiedcadillac.org/documents/1950s/1959/1959%20Accessories/tn/1959%20Accessories-8.jpg.html
I bought some belts from Caddy Daddy. So far I have only fitted the rears. I will get around to the fronts soon. If you can get a copy of the "Cadillac Serviceman" from 1959, Page 73 should show you where to drill (I have another thread on this if you want to look it up). I couldn't find the dimples in my car and, after consulting with my mechanic, have put the holes in approx. the right place with a piece of galvanised flat steel to back the panel.
By the way - I bought my car in Salt Lake City too (but not from a museum). Good Luck.
Ron Wilson
Ron in Sydney, Australia
1959 Series 62 Coupe
1970 Eldorado

The Tassie Devil(le)

Sorry, no Seat Belts.

Not sure when they became standard, or even optional, but to fit them properly, it is necessary to cut into the seat base to take the inner lap belt through a direct line to the floor mounting.

This in itself usually puts people off.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

35-709

You no doubt will need rear springs in the car, they are pretty easy to find, not expensive, and not that difficult to put in.  The fronts are more difficult, but not too bad ---- follow the instructions in your Shop Manual, it's all there!  I did mine by myself.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Philippe M. Ruel

Front seat belts were standard on Cadillacs from 1965 on (rear belts were an option).

All 4 seat belts were listed as options at least from 1962.
1952 60 Special in France.

Warren Rauch

The history of Cadillac seatbelts goes something like this. They were an option starting in 1957. The early 57  belts were  a little short,so in the spring of 57 they made new non buckle ends that were over afoot longer. These same belts were used thru 1960. The parts book includes reinforcement washers to use them back on 1954-56 models.What was used in early 1961 , I 'm confused . By spring of 61 the earlier plain metal buckel was relaced with one that had a raised triangle pattern . this was used into 1963.The anchors were started in 1962 ( at least 1962 models had them), from approx serial 2000 in 1959 thru 1961 ? they only put indents as to where to drill the mount holes.  In late 63 there was an easier to adjust belt used. these were all non -retracting. In 1964the first belts with Cadillac emblems and floor mounted retracters were used. they became standard equipment in the front on Jan 1,1964.  With this belt you lifted the one side of the buckle to release. The kind that you push the emblem in to release came out during 1965.Warren