News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

37 LaSalle convertable top

Started by Chic Gray CLC #22336, August 23, 2007, 12:48:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chic Gray CLC #22336

I have taken the convertible top assembly apart with the aid of an acetylene torch to free up the frozen bolts and screws.  Now its all apart, the metal pieces will be rechromed.  But my concern is locating new bolts (National fine thread).  Some of them have shoulders on them and I also need to replace the spacers. Does anyone know of a sourse for these specialized bolts? I would like to use original type bolts, some of them have a screwdriver slot on them, and others are dome shaped on the end.  Any information would be very welcome.  Chic Gray. CLC member

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Chick,

Personally, I would be either making them myself, or approaching a Machine or Engineering Shop, and pleading with the owner that you really do need these special fastenings.

Having the originals, even if they are out of shape, etc, will make the task of copying a lot easier, and really helpful to the lathe operator.

Then you can have them plated to original specs, so they don't simply rust away, again.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

harry s

I did the same thing with my '37 conv sedan, but luckily was able to salvage all of the bolts. With the rivets I was able to grind off the mushroom end and then drill and tap them and use the screw caps that come with hardware store screw type rivets. I was unable to find replacements for some of the bolts that were damaged and had to have the plate repair those. In the absence of finding a parts top, which would be next to impossible, Bruce's suggestion is about it.
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Terry Wenger CLC #1800

Chic:

May I recommend you try Tioga Stainless LLC in Burlington, VT, phone 802-655-9671m, tiogastainless@attglobal.net.

They make special fasteners or might have the ones you need and they are stainless steel and can easily be polished so no chrome plating is required, I have bought from them for years.

I remember corresponding with you many years ago ( before email) on '39 Cadiillac jump seats, I think!

Terry 

Chic Gray CLC #22336

"Thanks for the reply to my 'top' problem.  I will follow up on your suggestion with Tioga Stainless.  You sure have a good memory.  We did correspond about 10 years ago.  I had a 39LaSalle business coupe then.  Did a ground up restoration on it, drove it around the Provence of British Columbia and Alberta for a number of years to many car tours and events.  Then sold it to pay for a new Kitchen!  I did get the jump seats and they were reupholstered and looked great.  I think the airfreight from the Eastern Seaboard area to BC cost more than the purchase.ha ha.
Quote from: harry s on August 23, 2007, 09:34:56 AM
I did the same thing with my '37 conv sedan, but luckily was able to salvage all of the bolts. With the rivets I was able to grind off the mushroom end and then drill and tap them and use the screw caps that come with hardware store screw type rivets. I was unable to find replacements for some of the bolts that were damaged and had to have the plate repair those. In the absence of finding a parts top, which would be next to impossible, Bruce's suggestion is about it.
"  I noticed your CLC membership number.  You have been a member for a long time.  I let my membership lapse and rejoined a few years back.  My CLC number is 22336"
Quote from: Terry Wenger CLC #1800 on August 23, 2007, 02:38:26 PM
Chic:

May I recommend you try Tioga Stainless LLC in Burlington, VT, phone 802-655-9671m, tiogastainless@attglobal.net.

They make special fasteners or might have the ones you need and they are stainless steel and can easily be polished so no chrome plating is required, I have bought from them for years.

I remember corresponding with you many years ago ( before email) on '39 Cadiillac jump seats, I think!

Terry 
Quote from: Terry Wenger CLC #1800 on August 23, 2007, 02:38:26 PM
Chic:

Terry 

Chic Gray CLC #22336

["Nice to get an email from down under!  I have saved the old bolts so if Terry'ss sugestion comes up empty, I will try and find a machinest to make a set for me. Thanks for the reply. Chic  quote author=The Tassie Devil(le) link=topic=99111.msg102159#msg102159 date=1187868070]
G'day Chick,

Personally, I would be either making them myself, or approaching a Machine or Engineering Shop, and pleading with the owner that you really do need these special fastenings.

Having the originals, even if they are out of shape, etc, will make the task of copying a lot easier, and really helpful to the lathe operator.

Then you can have them plated to original specs, so they don't simply rust away, again.

Bruce. >:D
[/quote]