News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Tank Engine in a 39 60S

Started by bobnixon, August 24, 2007, 06:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobnixon

I currently own a 1939 60S the engine block is broken on the to corner by the firewall, the corner head bolt threads stripped out & have two pieces of the block broken out on top& back end. I have a chance to get a tank engine. It is my understanding that the tank engine oil dip comes out of the side of the oil pan. My question is it difficult to get the block machined to take the oil dip stick tube from my 39 & use my 39 oil pan. My thinking is if I use the tank engine I would have to eliminate my engine splash pan, atleast the driver side one, I really do not want to do that. Or does any one have a rebuildable  good 346 block?

Doug Houston

There were a couple of versions of the tank engine. One of them did have no dipstick hole, but a good machine shop could surely bore a hole in the tank engine for you.

There were all sorts of fittings in the block for cooling tubes to the transmission, and the heads had the cooling outlets mounted bass-ackwards to the passenger models, but you'd simply use the attachments from your old engine,and have it over with.

Tere were lots of tank engines installed in passenger Cadillacs after the war, and they were a big help if an engine was shot or damaged.