News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Center piece of dash for 1980-1992 Fleetwood

Started by TxHearseGuy, August 29, 2007, 05:33:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TxHearseGuy

I was playing around with my dash today on the 1981 S&S Cadillac to see what all was going to be required to get to the radio section of the harness and run the wiring down to the transmission hump with the adapter kit I bought.  When I removed that piece, I saw that I COULD place my aftermarket stereo into the exisiting slot IF I had a later model Cadillac Fleetwood with the other style of radio.  Mine is the digital with the knobs.  If memory serves me, the dash never changed much from the 1980-1992 models.  If this is the case, does anyone know where I can get the center pice of the dash (see pic for details) http://s150.photobucket.com/albums/s89/HotRodHearseGuy/1981%20S%20and%20S%20Cadillac%20Victoria/?action=view&current=1981SSCadillacVictoria029.jpg and http://s150.photobucket.com/albums/s89/HotRodHearseGuy/1981%20S%20and%20S%20Cadillac%20Victoria/?action=view&current=1981SSCadillacVictoria030.jpg that had the large box style stereo.  I need to locate one that is black in color to match my dash.

Thanks!
Frank Redmond
Lonestar Hearse Association/Route 66 Hearse Cruises
1953 Superior Cadillac Combo
1969 Miller-Meteor Cadillac 3way
1974 Superior Cadillac Crown Sovereign
1981 S&S Cadillac Victoria
1992 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
CLC# (waiting on paperwork to arrive - app has been sent!)
PCS# (waiting on paperwork to arrive - app has been sent!)

Eric S. Maypother #15104

Quote from: TxHearseGuy on August 29, 2007, 05:33:08 PM
I was playing around with my dash today on the 1981 S&S Cadillac to see what all was going to be required to get to the radio section of the harness and run the wiring down to the transmission hump with the adapter kit I bought.  When I removed that piece, I saw that I COULD place my aftermarket stereo into the exisiting slot IF I had a later model Cadillac Fleetwood with the other style of radio.  Mine is the digital with the knobs.  If memory serves me, the dash never changed much from the 1980-1992 models.  If this is the case, does anyone know where I can get the center pice of the dash (see pic for details) http://s150.photobucket.com/albums/s89/HotRodHearseGuy/1981%20S%20and%20S%20Cadillac%20Victoria/?action=view&current=1981SSCadillacVictoria029.jpg and http://s150.photobucket.com/albums/s89/HotRodHearseGuy/1981%20S%20and%20S%20Cadillac%20Victoria/?action=view&current=1981SSCadillacVictoria030.jpg that had the large box style stereo.  I need to locate one that is black in color to match my dash.

Thanks!

Hi,
Yes even 77-79 is same, except 77 has lights in bottom,  they changed the radio with 1 knob over the other in around 89, the newer piece and radio will fit right in, I put the 89-92 style radio and dash piece in a 77 & 85 I had, I sold the piece on eBay, I see them pop up thier from time to time, or if you want and can't find 1 in the next several months I'll be parting my 1990 Brougham by Spring unless it dies sooner, I have a red piece like yours from an 84 if you need another like the 1 you have.
Eric :)
1990 Cadillac Brougham

Eric S. Maypother #15104

PS.
The 1 I got in junk yard before was light gray, I bought a bottle of black leather shoe dye with the sponge tip and painted it with that, it takes several coats but no one could tell the difference that it wasnt original, your lucky to find 1, never mind a black 1.
1990 Cadillac Brougham

TxHearseGuy

Quote from: Eric S. Maypother #15104 on August 29, 2007, 10:02:26 PM
Quote from: TxHearseGuy on August 29, 2007, 05:33:08 PM

Thanks!

Hi,
Yes even 77-79 is same, except 77 has lights in bottom,  they changed the radio with 1 knob over the other in around 89, the newer piece and radio will fit right in, I put the 89-92 style radio and dash piece in a 77 & 85 I had, I sold the piece on eBay, I see them pop up thier from time to time, or if you want and can't find 1 in the next several months I'll be parting my 1990 Brougham by Spring unless it dies sooner, I have a red piece like yours from an 84 if you need another like the 1 you have.
I wouldn't mind the one from the the 84 if you're willing to part with it.  I read the 2nd post and black shoe dye works to redye it?  I hadn't thought about something like that.  I've got some of that SMS vinyl dye paint, when I tried it on some other things this evening, it seemed to be "too bright" and wasn't going to match the dash as well.  Sending you a private with my shipping info, please let me know how much for the piece and shipping so I can get this out to you.
Frank Redmond
Lonestar Hearse Association/Route 66 Hearse Cruises
1953 Superior Cadillac Combo
1969 Miller-Meteor Cadillac 3way
1974 Superior Cadillac Crown Sovereign
1981 S&S Cadillac Victoria
1992 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
CLC# (waiting on paperwork to arrive - app has been sent!)
PCS# (waiting on paperwork to arrive - app has been sent!)

Eric S. Maypother #15104

Correction,
I said 89-92 were same, the 90-92 are wood grained and have the vents in different places so you'd have to rework the vents to use them in 89 down cad's, I don't know the exact year they changed the radio style, I think it was 87, but people do buy the 90-92 radio dash pieces to put in mid 80's Fleetwood Coupes when they want them to have the Euro look and they change the header panel, tail lights, side trim.
1990 Cadillac Brougham