News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1937 LaSalle

Started by Bob Laughon #18623, August 31, 2007, 07:27:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Laughon #18623

This month's Automotive Quarterly has an article on LaSalle, and includes a photograph of a '37 business coupe.  Did LaSalle produce a business coupe, in 1937 or ever?

Warren Rauch

Cadillac produced the business ( 2-passenger) coupe most if not all years in the LaSalle line. In 1937 it was body style 37-5027. They also made them in  other series  including the V-16 models.Warren

Bob Laughon

Well, I'm kind of a nit-picker, and I guess I'm asking about terminology.  If you consider every coupe with no fixed rear seat a business coupe, then you're correct.  On the other hand, I thought a "business coupe" had no rear seat (or perhaps a completely removable rear seat?) to provide additional space for salesmen and other business people to carry their samples and stuff.  The '37 LaSalles all had fixed fold-down "opera" seats and are commonly referred to as "opera coupes."  Coupes that have a full fixed rear seat are called "club coupes."  I think some manufacturers actually used the tern "business coupe" for their product, Chrysler Corporation, for example.  And I thought LaSalle never used this term.  The official LaSalle terminology for the '37 coupe was, I think, "sport coupe."  I guess what I was really wondering about was whether LaSalle ever produced a coupe with no rear seat of any type, and/or whether they ever used the term "business coupe."