News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1938 Cadillac Wiring Harness (60 65, 70, 75.)

Started by Mark Hewitt, September 01, 2007, 06:06:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Hewitt

Were the wiring harnesses for 1938 Cadillac cars the same accross the the 60series 70 & 75 range of cars.?

IE, the main loom governing electrics for ignition, starter , lights , horn  ( relay ) under dash etc,
Separate looms would have been used for head lamps, tail lamps and indicators.

Thanks for any help.

harvey b

hello mark,i know this wont be much help to you,i have a 37 60 series and the wiring harness is one big peice,the only connecters are where the headlights hook up at the rad shell,it is complete right back to the tailights,we had a heck of a time to replicate it when we rewired my car,it was laid out on a long bench and we replaced one wire at a time the same length as the one we took out,and it even works??,in the 37 shop manual it shows a different wiring schematic for the larger series cars.i do not have a book on the 38s,but i know there is someone here that can tell you exactly what you need to know,this forum is great for this kind of stuff. thanks Harvey
Harvey Bowness

baxterculver

Quote from: Mark Hewitt on September 01, 2007, 06:06:09 AM
Were the wiring harnesses for 1938 Cadillac cars the same accross the the 60series 70 & 75 range of cars.?

IE, the main loom governing electrics for ignition, starter , lights , horn  ( relay ) under dash etc,
Separate looms would have been used for head lamps, tail lamps and indicators.

Thanks for any help.
According to my parts book, the '38 60 series cars used a chassis harness # 1868202.  The 65 & 75 cars used a #1868204 and the 90 series used a 1868205.  So there are differences--how much I couldn't say.

I do know, for the '39 cars, that the 60 series (and la Salle) used a three wire voltage regulator while the big cars (75 & 90) used a 6wire regulator.  That would ialone would mply a different wiring loom.

The regulator part #s for 1938 cars show different numbers for the 38-50 & 60 series, and the 75-90 series.  I cannot tell you what those differences are.  Perhaps someone else can.
baxter culver clc#17184

Fred Zwicker #23106

Try Rhode Island Wiring in RI   401-789-1955.  They can furnsih whatever you need and have been helpful to me.

Fred
1930 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, CCCA Senior
1939 LaSalle 2-Dr. Conv.  CLC Senior in 2008
1940 Cadillac Series 75 4 Dr. Convertible
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1948 Cadillac Convertible - modified by Holly (driver)
1966 Cadillac DeVille Conv. Restored - Red
See Pictures at www.tpcarcollection.com

Doug Houston

I have the drawing from Packard Electric Division, GM for the dash harness for the 38-50,60, and 60S.  The harness for the 75, and possibly 65 will be different, brcause of the engine compartment, if nothing else. Then, the one for the 38-90 is again different, because of the primary starter relay located on the firewall. There is a small harness for the horn relay to the two horns. The connections to the light switch are a nightrmare before 1940 on all models!!

I bought a new harness from Rhode Island, and it's a magnificent piece of work.  Not in the car yet, but I hope to get it installed some time in the near future. It was about $525.00, as I recall.

Glen

Quote from: Doug Houston on September 01, 2007, 05:03:21 PM
I bought a new harness from Rhode Island, and it's a magnificent piece of work.  Not in the car yet, but I hope to get it installed some time in the near future. It was about $525.00, as I recall.

Doug,

What series car do you have?  I need a wiring harness for my 38 model 7519.  Not that I’m anywhere near needing it; but I would like to get it so that I have it on hand. 

$525 seems like a good deal.  How close did it come to the original in appearance?

Glen
Sorry about the thread hijack.
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104