News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1985 cadillac biaritz convertible

Started by Ted, September 09, 2007, 11:22:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted

I have just recently become interested in purchasing a 1985 cadillac convertible. I have noticed that some of these vehicles come with a "rolls royce" type grill and some come with a "continental kit" (spare tire mounted on the rear bumper).
Are these two examples a factory option(s) or something that has been added afterwords?
Do you think the grill and Continental kit add any value to the vehicle?

Also, I am new to this site and wonder if it is possible to somehow narrow my search to 1985 cadillac biarritz (only).

Thanks

Johnny F #662

Quote from: Ted on September 09, 2007, 11:22:44 AM
I have just recently become interested in purchasing a 1985 cadillac convertible. I have noticed that some of these vehicles come with a "rolls royce" type grill and some come with a "continental kit" (spare tire mounted on the rear bumper).
Are these two examples a factory option(s) or something that has been added afterwords?
Do you think the grill and Continental kit add any value to the vehicle?

Also, I am new to this site and wonder if it is possible to somehow narrow my search to 1985 cadillac biarritz (only).

Thanks

The "Rolls Royce" Grill and "continental kit" are not factory options, but could have been installed when the care was going through conversion or when it was delivered to the dealer and the dealer had them installed.  These add ons for the most part won't add any value to the vehicle, and might even lower it, as many collectors only like original factory cars.

35-709

Ted,
Learn ALL you can about the HT 4100 engine in those cars before buying one!!  A particularly troublesome engine on a good day, more so if not meticulously maintained by someone knowledgeable about the engine.  That engine, and the transmission with it, drove many people to buy a Lincoln for their next car, including ME.

If you just HAVE TO HAVE a Cadillac equipped with an HT 4100 engine you might want to check out the Cadillac HT 4100 Chapter at ...
http://www.ht4100.com/

Forewarned is forearmed.

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Barry M Wheeler #2189

These cars are known as 4000 lb instant boat anchors. That's how quickly the last 4100 engined car I had took to self-destruct. Just driving down the street to work...  Plan on an extra $5000 at some time in your ownership for a new engine. And DON'T expect them to keep their value. Collector's item, yes. Truly valuable collector's item, no.
I have an '81 Eldo, and I took the RR grill off as well as the '57 Imperial type spare off the trunk.
What you might be better off doing is looking for a '78-79 conversion. I just drove my 157K '79 Brougham 2100 miles to the GN and back with no problem. There is a green '79 convertible on eBay right now. The '77-79 engine and transmission are considered one of the finest Cadillac drivelines ever, and with care, are near bullet-proof. Good luck in any case.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville