News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1941 Hood Adjustment

Started by J.C. O'Steen, September 14, 2007, 08:01:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.C. O'Steen

Is there a procedure for proper final adjustment of the hood on a 1941 60s? The hood and front nose has been removed for restoration. Any advise or assistance will be appreciated.
                                                                                 J.C. O'Steen
                                                                                  CLC# 15620

Don Boshara #594

I have read that the hood should be adjusted to fit the cowl first before the front fenders and radiator bolts are tightened and then the rest aligned to match the hood.
1940 Sixty Special
1966 Mustang Cpe

Bill Podany #19567

I own an award winning restored 41 60S; aligning the hood to fit properly tight, not rattle, and not to damage the body paint requires a precise process; I suggest you follow Don Boshara's advice on his post to you.  Fit the hood to the cowl first; critical in this step to to properly adjust the roller mechanism at the base of the hood which lifts the hood up onto the cowl ledge when closing.  Then align the fenders, radiator and the rest of the front clip to fit with correct spacing to the hood sides and front to the grill.  I have seen many many 41 Cadillacs, fully restored, which have bad fitting hoods and alignment.  I had to have RM Auto Restoration in Chatham, Ontario finally repair mine correctly, unfortunately at a sizeable cost.  In my estimation, these hoods are an engineering nightmare, but the hoods are beautiful and elegant if done correctly.

Bill Podany
1941 60 Special Fleetwood
1955 Eldorado

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Just a reminder. On ANY '41, when adjusting the tension on the hood ornament, be sure to insert the cotter key each and every time you adjust the tension nuts. If the rod connecting the two bars that slip under the hood catches flops out, it is nearly impossible to open the hood again.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Bill Hamilton, CLC16219

Another issue to consider is the condition of your hood hinges. If they are not in tip top shape, meaning rivets tight and rivet holes not worn out of round, you may get the hood and front sheet metal adjusted perfectly and when you load the hood assist springs your alignment will be thrown off. And you can't properly align the hood with the hood assist springs under tension. I spent three evenings this past spring getting everything nearly perfect and when I reinstalled the springs, voila, they threw the cowl/hood alignment out about 1/4 inch on each side. My hinges are a bit sloppy and allowed the springs to pull the back of the hood out.

Bill Hamilton

Bill Podany #19567

Bill Hamilton,

You are exactly correct; thank your for your insight.  The authenticity manual shows the hood hinges by the cowl connected to the frame; my 60S has the hood springs connected to the cowl.  This seems to vary by car and by model.  Nonetheless, this hood alignment, its spacing, and proper fitting remains the challenge of any owner of a 41 Cadillac who wants a precise fit of it's hood relative to the fenders, cowl, and front grill.

Bill Podany
1941 60 Special Fleetwood
1955 Eldorado

Bill Hamilton, CLC#16219

My car is a 1942 75 series 7 passenger sedan. I believe my spring setup is the same as all 41 series except the 60s. The 41 60s setup is like all 1942 models except 75. The reason for this is that the 41 60s has fender extensions much like the 42s except the 75 series. When the front doors open those fender extensions impinge on the area where most 1941 models and 42 75 series cars have their spring purches. Therefore, 41 60s and 42 and later except 75 series have purches mounted to the firewall.

Bill Hamilton
40 LaSalle 5019
42 Cadillac 7523