News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Transmission Swap on a 61 Coupe Deville

Started by 61CAD, September 16, 2007, 04:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

61CAD

OK!

I think I have had it with hydromatics. My brother has a buddy who did a frame off on 59 sedan and according to him an early Powerglide (maybe a 64) will bolt upto a 390 block. Anyone hear of such a thing? If it's true, what do you do with the flywheel, flex plate and torque converter?
Jay

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: 61CAD on September 16, 2007, 04:41:18 PM
OK!

I think I have had it with hydromatics. My brother has a buddy who did a frame off on 59 sedan and according to him an early Powerglide (maybe a 64) will bolt upto a 390 block. Anyone hear of such a thing? If it's true, what do you do with the flywheel, flex plate and torque converter?

All I will say on the matter is that anything will bolt up to anything else with the correct number of adaptors.

But the secret is finding where to buy, or find someone to make, the adaptors.

But, I have never heard of such a swap, and if it was that easy, everyone would be doing it.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Chris McBride

wilcap is one provider of adapters

wilcap.com

see, e.g.,

http://www.wilcap.com/CAD3502.PDF

i have no experience with the vendor nor any opinion as to its products

i just have noted prior posting with its info and am passing it along

HTH

Chris

Doug Houston

I have a '56 Cadillac, and while the transmission is shifting properly now, I anticipate that, at some point, it will go the way of so many of those 56-63 (and some 65) transmissions.

A while back, I had been talking to Joe Scott, in Houston, Texas, and he described through the whole process of putting a THM 400 transmission on a '56, and probably later ones. Sad but true, the Jetaway was a folly for GM. The THM 400 is about as indestructable as any transmission ever built. I've driven a couple over 100k....one of them over 200K, without neven changing the fluid. The one in my '70 convertible was worked on at Hydra-Matic, and it shifts so positively, it's a joy just to feel the shifts!

And, I had a '61 convert. once, and surprise.......The H-M gave me trouble.