News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

"Over-Hauling"

Started by Barry M Wheeler #2189, September 18, 2007, 09:28:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry M Wheeler #2189

My son just called me from VA to let me know that a Cadillac was being "done" on the TLC channel, "Over-Hauling." I got to see mostly the finished product, which turned out quite nicely. To the old fogey way of looking at the car, it was "nearly" stock. They even left the original wheel covers on it! In these days of sellers proudly mentioning that their ware has "20s" this is almost unheard of.
However, after going through an engine re-build, upholstery, the whole enchilada, they changed the interior slightly (I think.) It may not have even been leather, as the color was red-orange and cream in a tuck and roll style.  And of course, they "improved" things under the hood. Very sanitary, (that's a 50's hot rod term, son...) looked great, and all that, but not being done as a show car, at least a CLC show car, or AACA show car, etc, etc, etc, it has, and will ALWAYS have, "X" amount of total value knocked off of the car because it is not stock, should it come on the market.
I know, it was "their" car. And they may keep it forever. I hope they do. And it will possibly be the most reliable '56 Cadillac in the land due to the improvements under the hood. But if I won the lottery, and found it was for sale, I would back them into a corner on the asking price, and keep hitting them with the fact that, nice as it is, as PERFECT as it is, it is not stock, and so the changes they opted for, are of no interest to me, which lessens the value.
We haven't had a good old drag'em down discussion about stock VS. modified for a while, so have at it, guys... What do you think???
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

35-709

:D
"And it will possibly be the most reliable '56 Cadillac in the land due to the improvements under the hood."

I'll take a nibble.  Haven't seen the car you're speaking of, but to some the modifications made to it to make it more reliable (and maybe more driveable) would actually increase the value.  When I sold my restored, stock looking, '41 60 Special 20 years ago with a '66 Cadillac drivetrain front to back, Nova front end with disc brakes, AC, Cruise Control, electric wipers, yadda, yadda ,yadda, the fellow couldn't get his money out fast enough.  He paid me what I asked for the car and we were both very happy, although I have always missed the car.  He lives a couple hundred miles from me and last I heard (not long ago) he STILL had the car and was getting ready to put a 472 in it.  SO ---- as always ---- there will be those who want that type of modified car (and will pay good money for it) and those who will turn their nose up at it.  Just gotta find the right person.  Aaaannd, as I've said before, I like 'em both ways.  Long live personal choice and the free market place. 
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Barry Wheeler on September 18, 2007, 09:28:42 PM

We haven't had a good old drag'em down discussion about stock VS. modified for a while, so have at it, guys... What do you think???

G'day Barry,

You're not trying to "Stir-the-pot" are you?

I thought that the topic of Stock V Modifieds was settled when the Modified Chapter was welcomed with open arms to the CLC?

Bruce. >:D

PS.   Life is meant to be different.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

paulp

Hey Berry:  I should have talked to you before I bought my 41 6267 less than a year ago, I could have saved a foutune I'll bet.  For instance just today I found an obviously aftermarket clutch return spring.  Not only that, the cotter pins at each end of the tie rods were absolutly not original stock.  The spark plug wires on the port side were secured with one phillips screw and one plane slotted screw, now I know they can't both be stock.  I could go on and on, the car is just a mess of wrong parts I guess.

But that is not why I turned on my computer tonight.  I really do have a question for you.  I need to get my exhaust manifolds re-done and I wondered if anyone out there has ever had them done with High Temp (I should say very high temp) Powder Coating.
If that is not a good idea I could use some guidance on where to get them re-porcelained.

And lastely, I wondered if anyone out there is going to Ironstone this coming weekend.    - Paul -  CLC 23300

Paul N. Price   CLC 23300

Mark

Quote from: paulp on September 18, 2007, 11:55:24 PM
The spark plug wires on the port side were secured with one phillips screw and one plane slotted screw, now I know they can't both be stock. 

There were several pretty nice 41s at the Des Moines GN a few years back.  I noticed that the grille and other front end trim on the cars were a variety of Phillips screws intermingled with slotted screws. 

Is this combined use of the two type screws stock from the factory?  I am sooo confused.  ??? 

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Don't think so. There are six large Phillip"s head screws to install the grill from the front. Two short and one long, I think. And then the eight (?) small Philllip's head screws on the top bar. As I recall, the only slotted head screws visible on the outside of a 1941 Cadillac are the four to hold the tail lamp bezels in. (Unless you want to count the brass  #8 Flathead screws used in many cases to "attach" the crest on the side grilles after the car gets a little age on it.) Thass' a joke, son. A joke, can't you tell? (Love that Foghorn Leghorn...)
In fact, the only other slotted head screws I can think of on the outside of the car are the ones used under the liicense plate on the trunk trim assembly. The ones holding the spears on have Phillips under the fenders. The ones holding the gas cap filler fin are Phillips.
I wish I'd have had the energy to stoop down and check the front of those '41s at Des Moines.

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Doug Houston

It was Cadillac's policy to keep screws and other fasteners out of visibility. Notice that the bumper bolts are not visible, for instance. Phillips head (THe name Phillips is not a posessive, and thereby has no apostrophe) screws are more practical for production, and have a better appearance as well.

There can be no doubt that if Cadillac could have concealed the tail light bezel fasteners, they danged well would have done it!  And those could have been Phillips, too!

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I have the 60S on eBay right now as my background, and I found four other slotted head screws when I checked the picture. The headlamp bezels and the fog lamp screws to tighten the bezels. Any more I missed, Doug? AND, if you're an English teacher in disguise, WHO was Mr. Phillips? (No apostrophe indeed, mutter, mutter.)
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

35-709

"......WHO was Mr. Phillips?"

If you'd really like to know, check out -----  http://ask.yahoo.com/20021107.html
;)

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Guess it's my day for learning things. I was sure that I had read years ago that it was the owner of Phillips Oil Co. that "invented" them. Geoff, thanks for putting me straight. And tonight is the night for "Are you smarter than a fifth grader...."
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

The Tassie Devil(le)

Thanks Geoff,

I too am now more edumacated.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

35-709

I'm only as edumacated as the internet allows -----

How Oil Built Bartlesville

Oil. Fresh from the ground it really wasn’t good for much. It could keep tools from rusting. It could keep lice and ticks off the hogs. It was a help in lighting fires. Otherwise, people in Indian Territory in the late 1890s weren’t much interested in the dark fluid. That attitude would change.

Oil would build Bartlesville and create legends like H.V. Foster, J. Paul Getty and Frank Phillips. Oil would spawn vast corporations: Cities Service, Sinclair Oil Company, Getty Oil Company and Phillips Petroleum Company. Bartlesville-area oil â€" and oil men -- would help light and heat the world and, later, fuel its automobiles and airplanes.

To read more about Frank Phillips, and some other oil men, check out -----  http://www.bartlesville.com/visitors/Itineraries/oilitinerary.html

;D

Dennis

The "Phillips" screw was originally invented by good ol' boy named Phil Lips.

D

Just kidding. 
Signed:  Dennis DeLay

paulp

Berry and others:  (should I capitalize others).   What about the screws that hold the round, or peep, back-up mirrors in place.  They should be slotted should'nt they?   -  Paul P. 23300  -
Paul N. Price   CLC 23300

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Actually, I think they should be slotted on each side of the hole for the bolt. I have sent one of these that I paid an arm and a leg for to Bruce Berghoff to see if he could duplicate them for a reasonable price. I have always called these spanner nuts. Back in the olden days, I got many of my King Bee mirrors from 1947 and 1948 Pontiacs which had this type of attachment to the door flange. The "bolt" had a flat flange that slipped under the weather stripping and the spanner nut went into the drilled depression on the mirror base on the outside. Looked more attractive than the Phillip heads we use now.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

STEVE CLC #16187

Quote from: paulp on September 18, 2007, 11:55:24 PM
Hey Berry:  I should have talked to you before I bought my 41 6267 less than a year ago, I could have saved a foutune I'll bet.  For instance just today I found an obviously aftermarket clutch return spring.  Not only that, the cotter pins at each end of the tie rods were absolutly not original stock.  The spark plug wires on the port side were secured with one phillips screw and one plane slotted screw, now I know they can't both be stock.  I could go on and on, the car is just a mess of wrong parts I guess.

But that is not why I turned on my computer tonight.  I really do have a question for you.  I need to get my exhaust manifolds re-done and I wondered if anyone out there has ever had them done with High Temp (I should say very high temp) Powder Coating.
If that is not a good idea I could use some guidance on where to get them re-porcelained.

And lastely, I wondered if anyone out there is going to Ironstone this coming weekend.    - Paul -  CLC 23300

Paul, I went to Ironstone just got home last nite, Drove my 1939 LaSalle from Idaho . Got a green ribbon.First time at the show very good show.

steve
clc #16187
steve hales
clc # 16187

TxHearseGuy

Quote from: DavidP on September 20, 2007, 07:32:20 PM
Would this be from the episode  "Junk in the Trunk" ?

http://www.overhaulin.com/theshow.asp?target=62

Chip Foose seemed to do a  very 'sympathetic' 'overhauling', retaining all the best we admire so much in our Cadillacs ...  ;)

Especially compared to what was done with another Cadillac by Boyd Coddington ...  >:D

If money was no object, I know which one I would hope to have work on my car ...  ::)

Speaking of this particula Overhaulin'......I saw it when it first aired.  I thought Chip and the crew did one incredible job on that 56.  It sure beat it being used as a CLOSET in the garage.  Everything on that car that was changed was done so for improved reliability and safety.  Paint and interior could all EASILY be reverted back to original, however, the use of a NEW paint color makes it so much more so original than the pain jane light blue it was before. 

speaking of Boyd and the Eldroado he did....nice car and would be a great car if it had one thing removed...the name Boyd Coddington. 

I have personally met both of these individual's and Chip is like the rest of us...a serious car guy who loves his work.  Boyd is all about name recognition and how much you're willing to spend on one of his "creations".  Boyd barely knows how to work on a car anymore, unlike Chip who also gets just as dirty as his crews do on the show. 

I have an appreciation for both a fully restored and a modified.  I tend to swing toward the modified as I can afford the aftermarket parts.  I've got a 1953 Superior Cadillac Combo that is getting the full "street rod" treatment....why, cause I DRIVE my cars and want the saftey, reliability and performance of the more modern technology.  i am using ALL Cadillac in this particular hearse...1977 Seville stub frame and rear axle with disc brakes all around, am looking into an 800hp 500 CID Cadillac for under the hood and TH 400. Even my seats and steering column are all Cadillac.  The Column is tilt/tele from the same 1977 Seville with 1981 Deville steering wheel and seats are from a 2000-2005 Deville/DHS front bucket seats.  Total cost to build as a street rod....$12,000 - total cost to restore back to original and not be able to drive on a regular basis....over $45,000.  Resale value as a restored......maybe $22,000.

Frank Redmond
Frank Redmond
Lonestar Hearse Association/Route 66 Hearse Cruises
1953 Superior Cadillac Combo
1969 Miller-Meteor Cadillac 3way
1974 Superior Cadillac Crown Sovereign
1981 S&S Cadillac Victoria
1992 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
CLC# (waiting on paperwork to arrive - app has been sent!)
PCS# (waiting on paperwork to arrive - app has been sent!)