News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Ignition Distributor kit

Started by Matt, September 21, 2007, 01:21:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt

I’m looking to replace the stock distributor. Any recommendation from anyone for MSD Ignition Distributor complete kit (cap, rotor, vacuum advance, wires, etc) for a 1976 Eldorado.
Thanks,
Matt

TJ Hopland

What are you trying to do?  The stock HEI is a pretty darn good setup for a stock motor.  Is it working properly?  Mechanical advance weights and springs in good shape?  Vaccum modulator working?  Changing out an HEI dizzy would be one of the last things on my list of 'upgrades'. The $250+ for the MSD dizzy could go twards a better (than stock) cam or some carb work and gain you more than you would with the dizzy.  MSD and others make upgrades for the large cap HEI's.  Look up Davis Unified Ignition, they make large cap HEI's for everything including fords and have a very good reputation.

As Stampie would say if/when he sees this thread:
Might want to check the Modified Chapter out as this is more in line with them.  www.modifiedcadillac.org
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

35-709

I agree, unless you are going drag racing with the car and want all out performance the HEI can't be beat.  Also easy to get parts for and there are aftermarket upgrades for it.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Matt

After all I don't think I will change it but the reason for the change is that my vacuum advance or my timing is off, which can be fixed. But what kind of aftermarket upgrades are you talking about.
Thanks,
Matt

35-709

Just making reference to TJH's post above which said .....

"MSD and others make upgrades for the large cap HEI's."

I would check with MSD .........   http://www.msdignition.com/
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

TJ Hopland

Every 70's vintage car I have messed with in the last 10 years has had a dead vacuum advance modulator in the distributor.  Without it the engine will have very flat performance.

Mr Gasket is a popular brand that many parts stores stock, they make an adjustable vac modulator.

All the big names make stuff for the HEI's

Check out places like Jeg's or Summit Racing, use their search for HEI and Im sure you will turn up all kinds of stuff.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

Matt

Can you check if the vacuum advance modulator is dead without replacing it?
Matt

TJ Hopland

If you have or can  borrow a hand vacuum pump with gauge its easy.  Just hook it up and pump if it holds vac its good if it doesnt its bad.  There are other ways but the hand pump is the easiest.  If you have a timing light (which you should if you are thinking of messing with a dizzy) you could get an idea by reving the engine with the hose hooked and unhooked and see if there is a change in the response but that wont tell you if its leaking just if its at least sort of working.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV