News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Help With New Carpet Installation on 61 Caddy

Started by Jack Miller, September 22, 2007, 02:38:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Miller

Hi All,

Can I please get some tips here on how to install my new carpets on my 61 Caddy convertible?
I have all seats out, kick panels out and rear panels out. I do not have the original carpets to judge by. I don't want to cut till I hear from someone here.
I am concerned about the gas pedal, cutting out the rear hooks that hold in the rear seat and the heat ducts that are under the front seat. I am really not sure about cutting out the under seat ducts. I guess that the carpet gets cut under the door step mouldings.
Should the carpets be glued in or will the seats & trim hold the carpets in place? I have heard both ways, which is correct on a Caddy?
Also if I missed out anything please let me know.
I guess that once the carpet is set, the high beam switch is easy to cut out and put the rubber grommet on and the 8 seat bolt holes too.
Any tricks from experience is appreciated.

Thanks
Jack
Jack M.

Jack Miller

Quote from: South_paw on September 22, 2007, 04:45:09 PM
Jack,

Here's a link that will guide you thru the install...
http://www.autoupholsterykits.com/carpetinsmld.htm

HTH

Lou

Lou,

I bought my carpet from them about 8 months ago. The under seat ducts and the rear seat mounts are upsetting me with the install. I don't want to blow the carpet. I have done quite a few carpets but in Jaguars, MG's, Triumphs, Corvettes & 57 Birds but those carpets are in pieces and are easier to instal as the pieces are smaller.

Jack
Jack M.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: fins on September 23, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
Lou,
I bought my carpet from them about 8 months ago. The under seat ducts and the rear seat mounts are upsetting me with the install. I don't want to blow the carpet. I have done quite a few carpets but in Jaguars, MG's, Triumphs, Corvettes & 57 Birds but those carpets are in pieces and are easier to instal as the pieces are smaller.   Jack   

Hi Jack,

Yep, Cadillacs are BIG, and big for a reason.

Not really sure what the reason is for, but usually, the bigger things are, the easier they are to work on.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon