News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Best years for 346

Started by bull, September 26, 2007, 01:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

This is my first post so please be gentle.

I'm curious if there are a more desired year for the 346? Logically I would guess that you want the newest 346 you can get your hands on, but I have learned that newer doesn't always mean better. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

-bull

fiftyv8

Hi Bull, I got me a 1937, 1938 and 1941 caddy 346 engines and it really depends on what you mean by which is better. I think the 1941 because it has the split exhaust manifolds into a twin pipe system.
The 1938 has better main seal than the 1937, the 1937 seemed to have a better looking counter weight damper on the front of the crank shaft, but then it was dropped off altogether so maybe it only looked good but did not work.

I saw a very late 346 fitted in an old ranchero and it sounded and run real nice but what took my eye was the great casting to the heads with nice caddy emblem and all the cylinders numbered and firing order all cast on.

I guess it is what catches your eye. If you are just after performance, then maybe the latest were possibly the best since the military seemed to have a little influence in that regard and things like the compression ratio was increased etc.

Id would swap any of my motors for the last of them, but sometimes you got to make do with what comes up.

Just my point of view, I hope it was worth reading.

Russ.
Russ Ritchie.

Doug Houston

Wow, where did this guy get his "information"?

Did he say that the '41 mengines were equipped with dual exhausts?  If so, they were not, nor were an of the 346 engines so configured. Cadillac never built V8 cars  with dual exhausts. I saw a '41 for sale years ago, with dual exhausts, and the exhaust note sounded like the engine was misfiring. It sure as the blazes, didn't sound like a Cadillac!

The heads with the Cadillac name on them were for tank engines, and the water outlets were on the wrong end for passenger use.

If we're speaking of the engine for passenger car use (in a Cadillac), perhaps the more desirable ones would have been'41 through '48. I need to check, but starting in '42, they went to 3 ring pistons, and a lighter timing chain. Beyond that, it was a toss through 1948. The compression ratio was changed in 1941 to 7.25:1.

bull

Thanks for the replies. I have a 39, 44, and 48 engines, so it looks like I will be using the later. Thanks again

fiftyv8

Quote from: bull on October 01, 2007, 08:15:15 PM
Thanks for the replies. I have a 39, 44, and 48 engines, so it looks like I will be using the later. Thanks again

Yes, "he said engines with dual exhaust, not cars and there is a difference!!!"
Think about it.... and you know what they dont sound  bad at all.

Car people did not improve cadillac engines, the military did so what does that say.
I know which engines I'd prefer.

The purists did not reply to this post until they could critise a well intended point of view.

Dont like being jumped on thanks.
Russ Ritchie.

Whit Otis, 1188

Whit Otis -
1941 6219D Custom
1941 6219D
1940 7533F
1986 Mercedes Benz 560 SEL
1999 Bentley Arnage
2019 XT5
Drawing of AP Sloan Custom by Terry Wenger