News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Source for ZDDP Additive on Internet

Started by Mike Josephic CLC #3877, September 26, 2007, 08:49:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

For those of you that wish to add an additive for this purpose, the following site has
product available at $6.65 per 4 oz bottle.  This is the GM part #12345501 also
known as "Camshaft and Lifter Pre Lube".  This is a good thing to add after an
engine rebuild, at least for the first few oil changes, especially with the "SL" class oils.
It helps break in the cam / lifters properly. 

Other than that, if you wish to add it with every oil change (due to all the discussion
on this subject) here's one place to get it:

http://www.superchevyperformance.com

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

jbento

I went to my local Chevy dealership, and asked for some "break in lubricant".  What he gave me is: "E.O.S. Assembly Lubricant" part #88862586.  Cme in a 16 oz bottle and was $25.00

Now I know this is not the same as Part #12345501, but will it work?

In the list of ingredients, it does list  Zinc Dialkyldithiophosphate (ZDDP).

But it also says "GM recommends E.O.S. Assembly Lubricant only for the specific purpose listed above. GM does not recommend the use or any product as an additive to engine oil."

Thanks!
Joe Bento
CLC# 20081
1940 Cadillac Series 72

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

I really don't want to open this can of worms again -- but:

My reply as posted (see date) is taken a bit out of context and does no show all of the discussion around the ZDDP debate.

Just put "ZDDP" into the search engine for the forum and you will find more info than I believe you'll wish to read. Make up you rown mind after that.

In a nutshell, what I said is that I don't think this additive is necessary with today's engine
oils.  Yes, they contain less ZDDP than the oils of 20-30 years ago but there is still more than enough to do the job.  That's why GM doesn't recommend using the additive for that purpose.  They don't want to promote anything that they cannot prove "claims of performance" for a
"legal reason".  Also, there is the environmental issue with the zinc / phosphate shortening the life of catalytic converters.

Again, what I said was "If it makes you sleep better add it -- I do not in my cars."  I posted
that info for those who wished to find a source -- that's all -- period, end of story.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Rob

I am using ZDDplus in my 1947 cadillac engine & also my 1970  472ci.
Works great and did reduce the tappet noise. I am using 2 bottles in the 1947 engine.

TonyZappone #2624

Quote from: Mike Josephic on September 26, 2007, 08:49:30 PM
For those of you that wish to add an additive for this purpose, the following site has
product available at $6.65 per 4 oz bottle.  This is the GM part #12345501 also
known as "Camshaft and Lifter Pre Lube".  This is a good thing to add after an
engine rebuild, at least for the first few oil changes, especially with the "SL" class oils.
It helps break in the cam / lifters properly. 

Other than that, if you wish to add it with every oil change (due to all the discussion
on this subject) here's one place to get it:

http://www.superchevyperformance.com

Mike
I have several bottles of EOS.  If you can't find it anywhere, I will sell a few containers for $30 postpaid.  TonyZ
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

dadscad

Hey guys,

Thought I'd share another alternative to the ZDDP additive. I attached a bulletin addressing this topic about Amsoil Synthetic Motor Oil's.

Hope you find this usefull and informative.

Thanks,
David
independent Amsoil Dealer 1074391
www.lubedealer.com/ddthomas
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

harvey b

Hello All,have been reading the posts for and on the fence concerning the ZDDP additive,what about Marvel Mystery Oil,anyone have any thoughts about it?I am going to change the oil in my 37 V8 in the next day or so,it holds 7 quarts,so it says on the dip stick.how much ZDDP or Marvel Mystery Oil should i add or none at all,i use Shell Rotella straight 30 oil in it.have been adding some MMO to it the last change?Any help is appreciated  Thanks Harvey B
Harvey Bowness

35-709

There is no comparison between Marvel Mystery Oil and a ZDDP additive, except that in this case they are both considered to be "additives".  They do not do the same job, don't compare one with the other, don't substitute one for the other.  If, after all the many postings and discussions here about adding ZDDP, you still can't make up your mind then just don't do it.  I use it for my own peace of mind, it is relatively inexpensive, it is something the oil companies added to their oil for many years ---- only now they use a lot less of it for catalytic converter longevity considerations.
:) 
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Greg McDonnell

I swapped numerous emails regarding this additive with one of the owners of a company that sells ZDDP in 4oz. bottles.  Here's a link to their website
http://www.zddplus.com:80/
The owner's name is David Navone-a super nice guy who took the time to answer every question I had for him and replied to every email I sent.  I will be buying some of their product the next time I need to change my oil. 

Greg McDonnell
CLC# 20841
Greg McDonnell
CLC #20841

Bill Podany #19567

I have purchased a case of ZDDPlus from David Navone; he is informative and helpful.  I will continue using the product with each oil change in my 41 60 Special.

Bill Podany
Knoxville, TN
1941 60 Special Fleetwood
1955 Eldorado