News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Gene Autry

Started by Barry M Wheeler #2189, September 30, 2007, 09:14:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry M Wheeler #2189

This afternoon and evening, I have been watching some old Gene Autry films on the Starz Encore Western channel. In many cases, the "bad guys" take off in some kind of Cadillac. Just this afternoon, I watched a 37 sidemounted convertible sedan...a Series 60 or 65 I think tumble over and over down a hillside. Then, in the next film, a somewhat shabby '33 sedan ended up on it's side.
I've also seen sometime back, a '41 6267D in a song short.
There was a fantastic '38 Packard town car in one yesterday as well. It didn't get wrecked. I just thought you guys might want to sit through some of these moldy oldies just to see the cars.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

harvey b

another great web site to check out is www.imcdb.org they have pictures of all the cars that were used in the movies,it is unbeleivable that someone has enough free time to do a site like this.check it out there are a lot of neat old caddys on it,is not that hard to navigate either.thanks Harvey Bowness
Harvey Bowness

Doug Houston

There were two that I can recall in a couple of WC Fields' movies.

In either "Never Give A SuckerAn Even Break", or "The Bank Dick", there was what was left of possibly about a 30-31 Cadillac  phaeton.

The other film was  "Big Broadcast of 1938". Near the beginning, he came up to a super-duper gas station in what appears to be a '37-75 convertible sedan. He makes the usual jackass of himself, and drives off with a blown out tire.

In the thirties, used cars, especially classics were a dime a dozen, and they thought nothing of running them over cliffs, setting fire to them, or many other ways of destroying them. Damned unfortunate as we now see it, but just simple economics then.  And people loved to see something valuable destroyed.