News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

'49 RADIO ATTN: DOUG HOUSTON

Started by Fred Hammerle, October 01, 2007, 11:54:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred Hammerle

Hi Doug, I installed the SFE 14 amp fuse on the power wire.  The pilot light now works but no sound or even a buzz out of the set.  What shouild I be looking at for a fix?      ???

Thanks and regards,   Fred

Doug Houstoin

There's not a simple or a short answer. the first thing I get though, is that the vibrator isn't going,,otherwise, you'd hear it. No vibrator, no power supply, no reception.

You're probably going to have to take it out and get it to a competent guy and have all of the capacitors replaced in the set. the vibrtator may be good, but just has to get going again. the contacts in it will tarnish, and it won't start running without some trickery that can be done with it.

Even if the vibrator were working, there is a capacitor (condenser, if you prefer) trhat needs to be replaced. It's called a "buffer" condenser, and is part of the power supply. The buffers will usually short within the first few minutes of operation, and can take out the vibrator and/or the power transformer.

There's a guy in Ohio, named Bob Rosengarten, in Bellbrook, who might be able to help you. I don't generally recommend anyone, as I've always done my own, but I don't get enough time to do that stuff any more. There's a guy in Florida, who I'm not excited about. He does "conversions" to AM-FM operation. That involves gutting the radio case, and installing a corcuit card with the AM-FM cxircuitry on it. If someone later would want the set back as original, it's all gone, and can never be restored. The guy in Florida does do some repair, but hates doing it. He's not what I feel as highly competent, and I'd stay away from him.

Fred Hammerle

Thanks Doug.  Do yoiu have Bob Rosengarten's contact info ... an e-mail address would be good for starters.

Regards,  Fred