News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

oil pressure

Started by Lance, October 08, 2007, 06:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance

Hello ,
I am just about to fire my rebuilt  1961 390 motor . I can't seem to find my manual and was just wondering what oil pressure should run at . We did turn it over and it only seems to be at about 15 psi . That seems a little low to me . I hope that one of you more experienced guys may be able to help .
Thanks Lance  ???

Wayne Womble 12210

I doubt it would get much over 15, by just truning it with the starter. It will come up when running.

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Lance,

The Oil Pressure at normal driving speed (30 MPH) should ideally be around 30 to 35 PSI, and a low of 15 PSI, according to the Workshop Manual.

If you have 15 PSI at cranking, then you should be good to go, but I would never suggest cranking an engine on the Starter Motor for long periods.

Realistically, the Oil Pressure at Idling can get as low as 10 PSI and still be okay.

Too much Oil Pressure can also damage an engine in the bearing department, unless bearing clearance compromises have been performed.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Lance

Thanks guys ,
There have been no modifications just a standard rebuild . I just wanted to be sure .
The parts are a little hard to come by in Australia . Will start it tomorrow and see what happens .
Lance  :D