News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Tail lamp assemblies on '77-'79 Cars

Started by Barry M Wheeler #2189, October 12, 2007, 05:04:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I finally was able to use my Dremel type tool today and grind the washer part of the bolt that holds the tail lamp body on the bumper. As was reported earlier, the "nut" part separated from the washer parts, making it impossible to turn to come off.
After about a half an hour's work, I was able to chisel about half of the washer section off, and then was able to turn the remainder off the threads. However, I am going to have to take a trip to the clock shop tonight and file the threads smooth on the retainer, as they got bunged up with taking the bits off the bolt.
I found that there was no way the washer could have turned due to the corrosion that filled the cavity in the bumper hole. There was evidently some galvanic reaction to the metals used, and there was a lot of whitish corrosion in the area. Also, the retainer that holds the two carraige bolts is rusted badly from water and slush being thrown up in the area.
The reason for the post is to remind you (if you have one of these cars) to be extremely careful in trying to remove the bumper end bolts. Put lots of WD-40/Blaster on them before trying to loosen them so that the "top" of the bolt/washer assembly doesn't come off like mine did.
It may be that GM used this same bolt on the '80-'92 cars as well. Remember that GM did not make the bolt to come off. As long as it stayed tight to keep the tail lamp on the car, they were happy...
This might also be of interest. When the Board toured Clark Avenue in 1984, the way the "final" assembly of the tail lamp was done was that a guy with a long handled rubber hammer eyeballed the Up and Downness of the tail lamps and if they needed adjusting, "Wham!" he took a hit to line them up with the rubber hammer. John Henry didn't die in the coal mine. He just got a job at Cadillac in the seventies and eighties aligning tali lamps.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Davidinhartford

Ha ha ha!       He was at the Hammntrack plant in 1990 when I toured there too.    I saw him adjusting the upper door frames on the Eldorados and Sevilles with his knee!