News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

57 speedometer

Started by Doug 16070, October 13, 2007, 04:20:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug 16070

Any specific directions for me to grease the cable, advice on pulling cable. Any suggestions would be appreciated.Thank you.
Doug 16070

homeonprunehill

Quote from: Doug 16070 on October 13, 2007, 04:20:38 PM
Any specific directions for me to grease the cable, advice on pulling cable. Any suggestions would be appreciated.Thank you.
Doug 16070

10-14-07
DOUG, I tried to send a reply last evening, but the "spell-Check" function eraced the reply eace time I clicked OK at the end of spell-check.
You will need to remove the cable from the speedometer and using a rag, remove the old lube as you remove the cable. Having all of the old lube in a rag, beats having it on the seats or floor. I would use "White-Lube but, run that by the nearest GM parts department.
HTH Good Luck,JIM
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

Doug 16070

Jim,
Thanks for the response. I plan on using the Lithium grease(white).
Doug

homeonprunehill

10-16-07
Doug,To continue with my suggession, to remove all of the old lube, Tape a "pipe-cleaner" to the transmission ends of the speedometer cable and insert the pipe cleaner/cable into the speedometer end and push it thru the outer jacket, have a rag on the garage-floor to catch the old grease. You may have to use several pipe cleaners to get it real clean. HTH
Good Luck,JIM
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

Doug 16070

Jim,
   I got the speedometer fixed.  I disconnected the instrument panel end , cleaned it , sprayed with silicone & greased it it with white lithium. It works just fine now. Thanks for your replies, I appreciate it.Speedometer needle is smooth & quiet.Have a great day, & thanks again.
  Doug 16070