News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Universal Joint Parts Supplier

Started by fiftyv8, October 19, 2007, 08:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fiftyv8

Hi Guys, not usually looking for new parts, but need a 1950 caddy drive shaft (back axle end) universal joint to replace a worn out one.
I need the center cross piece and the caps that bolt onto the pinion flange.

Can anybody direct me to a reliable parts supplier that will have this item.

Western states would be best, but always nice to know where others are to.

Many thanks, Russ
Russ Ritchie.

35-709

Cooper's Vintage Auto Parts lists them at $32.00 for the rear u-joint for a 1950 Cadillac.

http://www.coopersvintage.com/index.html 
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Whit Otis, 1188

Coopers is a very reliable supplier, but if I were you I'd get their price and then look in the Yellow Pages for your home town and find a driveshaft rebuild shop or look for an industrial parts supplier who sells driveline components.  Take your old joint in and they will cross it over..... I have all the cross over info for '40's cars, but not yours.  At any rate, it is probably a very common Spicer, Rockwell, Borg Warner, et. al. joint.  If you negotiate, you will probably get it cheaper than thru many antique car parts places and you won't have to pay shipping and handling.  Regards,
Whit Otis
Whit Otis -
1941 6219D Custom
1941 6219D
1940 7533F
1986 Mercedes Benz 560 SEL
1999 Bentley Arnage
2019 XT5
Drawing of AP Sloan Custom by Terry Wenger

fiftyv8

Quote from: Whit Otis on October 21, 2007, 11:16:18 PM
Coopers is a very reliable supplier, but if I were you I'd get their price and then look in the Yellow Pages for your home town and find a driveshaft rebuild shop or look for an industrial parts supplier who sells driveline components.  Take your old joint in and they will cross it over..... I have all the cross over info for '40's cars, but not yours.  At any rate, it is probably a very common Spicer, Rockwell, Borg Warner, et. al. joint.  If you negotiate, you will probably get it cheaper than thru many antique car parts places and you won't have to pay shipping and handling.  Regards,
Whit Otis

I have tried Coopers with emails twice now and not even got any kind of reply.
Very disappointing indeed.
I tried my local drive shaft guy who did no have any but thought he could track one down but would cost over $40.
Any other names I dont mind even if they are in another state, say Co or similar.
Regards, Russ.
Russ Ritchie.

Fred Zwicker #23106

Try Cooper's again by phone.  With the fires in CA, some of the vendors are not able to correspond much.  I had the same situation just this week in trying to fax an order to Restoration Supply in Escondido, CA and a recording said that they were shut down for the week, due to the fires.  Cooper's will probably have what you need in stock.

Fred
1930 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, CCCA Senior
1939 LaSalle 2-Dr. Conv.  CLC Senior in 2008
1940 Cadillac Series 75 4 Dr. Convertible
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1948 Cadillac Convertible - modified by Holly (driver)
1966 Cadillac DeVille Conv. Restored - Red
See Pictures at www.tpcarcollection.com

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: fiftyv8 on October 26, 2007, 10:37:50 PM

I have tried Coopers with emails twice now and not even got any kind of reply.
Very disappointing indeed.
Not only you!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

baxterculver

Coopers has always responded to my phone calls.  I think they get too many e-mails that are not parts orders and yours may be quite far down the list of ones to respond to.  Call them!

I found u-joints for my '39 at the local driveshaft repair service here in Sacramento.  The parts guy took one look, verified with a quick measurement and pulled the two items off the shelf.  The originals, when taken apart, produced ground metal, no remaining grease, and journals that had deep horizontal grooves worn in them.  All of the needle bearings were damaged.  The OEM u-joints did not have a zerk fitting and there is no lubrication schedule in the factory shop manual, nor in aftermarket service bulletins.  So, the original owner never bothered to lube the u-joints, I guess.  I just decided it would be wise to take them apart for inspection and lubrication--and found waiting disaster.  I have learned to inspect and lube u-joints and wheel bearings (they were in the same shape) upon purchasing any old car.
baxter culver clc#17184

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

Got my one of UJ's at O'Reilly's parts in Texas and the difficult one from Kanter [not too expensive]. This was on my 54 CDV. The one from Kanter they described as a "mechanix" type UJ - it bolted on to the rear axle if I remember correctly.
Phil

STEVE CLC #16187

I found u-joints for my '39 at the local driveshaft repair service here in Sacramento.  The parts guy took one look, verified with a quick measurement and pulled the two items off the shelf.  The originals, when taken apart, produced ground metal, no remaining grease, and journals that had deep horizontal grooves worn in them.  All of the needle bearings were damaged.  The OEM u-joints did not have a zerk fitting and there is no lubrication schedule in the factory shop manual, nor in aftermarket service bulletins.  So, the original owner never bothered to lube the u-joints, I guess.  I just decided it would be wise to take them apart for inspection and lubrication--and found waiting disaster.  I have learned to inspect and lube u-joints and wheel bearings (they were in the same shape) upon purchasing any old car.
[/quote]

Baxter, that must have been Driverline Service in West Sacramento, Good people  they are Spicer and Neapco distributors and they won't rip you off on u joints or bearings.
steve hales
clc # 16187