News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Removal of interior door panels on 74 Eldorado

Started by Joe, October 20, 2007, 08:22:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

I have a 74 Eldo convertible and need to replace the driver side outside mirror (it is not power operated).  The door panels are the two piece panels but I haven't had reason to remove any of them yet(I recently purchased the car).  Is this an easy process?  Do I need to remove only the upper piece of the door panel?  Any special tools required?  Also, should the replacement of the mirror be pretty straightforward once I have the panel removed.  The toggle for the mirror is on the control panel on the armrest.  Any suggestions as to removing the door panels and replacing the mirror would be appreciated.  Thanks.

TJ Hopland

Its been a while since I have done it but on a 73 the panel is 2 big pieces and some various small bits.  This is from memory and I dont have my car or body manual handy or even know if 74 is the same.   

Upper:
-unscrew and remove door lock knob
-pop plastic covers off the pull handle and remove the screws that hold the handle on
-remove the narrow chrome strip thats just above the armrest (cant remember if there is a screw or if it just snaps on)
-remove the screws that are in the holes that were under the strip
-use a trim tool (flat tool with slot, looks like a weed pulling tool) to release the clips along the sides
-lift and wiggle the pannel up to get the clips to let go along the top edge

You may not have to remove the lower for the mirror only the control panel to get to the mirror control but if you do I think this is how to do it:
-remove the control pannel (I think there is a screw towards the front)  The windows and locks should have some sort of connector you can pull off and the mirror control should be held in with a allen screw
-I think there is a screw in the door handle area and thats all I can think of the rest is clips. Once you get the panel loose there is another wire going to the light.  Either the socket comes out of the lens or there is a connector.

Again this is all from memory on my 73 so I could be 100% wrong.   I have a 73 body manual just not handy.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason