News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Carpets : loop or cut pile ?

Started by Philippe M. Ruel, October 22, 2007, 11:53:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philippe M. Ruel

Hi, I'm looking for a new, replacement carpet for my 1952 Fleetwood 60.

Many carpet suppliers separate their product lines in
(1) 80/20 loop, up to the 1970s.
(2) cut pile (or "cutpile") from the 1970s on.

Kanter and others feature "400 series", "500 series", "600 series" or "800 series" carpets, differences and applications being not clearly explained.

My car seems to have its original carpet, which is definitely NOT 80/20 loop although its bad condition makes its color hard to determine.

Then I found an interesting information on a webpage about molded carpets (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molded_carpet) :

The majority of cars from the 1940s to the mid 1970s used 80-20 loop in their cars. The major exception being Cadillac which used cut pile in their cars at various times.

So, what does "various times" exactly mean ? When did Cadillacs feature cut pile carpets ? What should I use in my own car ?

By the way, which interior colors were available in 1952 ? I can find this information neither in the year's sales folder, nor in my shop manual, nor in Data Book pages reproduced in Roy Schneider's book. My car's seats and door panels are covered with gray wool cloth, its carpets look like a dull greenish. Outside has been repainted burgundy decades ago, but was originally black.

Thank you
1952 60 Special in France.

veesixteen

Not a very exciting selection, I'm afraid :

#3 Inverness (dark) metallic greenic,  #4 Aleutian (medium) metallic greenic, #5 Nasau (dark) metallic bluec, #6 Phoenic metyallic beigec, #7 Olympic (light) blue, #12  Hillcrest (grayish) metallic greenc, #13 Polar (light turquoise) green, #14 Opal (slightly lilac) gray metallic, #22 Sarasota (very light pastel) green. 

Two-tone combinations included #15 Savoy (metallic) gray and Mist gray [a 1951 color], #16 Hillcrest metallic green and Inverness metallic green, #17 Aleutian metallic green and Polar green, #18 Inverness metallic green and Hillcrset metallic green, #19  Savoy metallic gray ad Opal metallic Gray, #20 Nassau metallic blue and Olympic blue, #23 Inverness metallic green and Sarasota green [the first color is for the upper body in each case].

If you need a set of paint chips for 1951 abd for 1952, I have an extra sheet of each that I could send you.

I can't give you an answer off-hand as regards loop-pile and cut-pile carpets.  No time - we are off to Vegas tomorrow.
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Quote from: Philippe M. Ruel on October 22, 2007, 11:53:47 AM
Hi, I'm looking for a new, replacement carpet for my 1952 Fleetwood 60.

Many carpet suppliers separate their product lines in
(1) 80/20 loop, up to the 1970s.
(2) cut pile (or "cutpile") from the 1970s on.

Kanter and others feature "400 series", "500 series", "600 series" or "800 series" carpets, differences and applications being not clearly explained.

My car seems to have its original carpet, which is definitely NOT 80/20 loop although its bad condition makes its color hard to determine.

Then I found an interesting information on a webpage about molded carpets (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molded_carpet) :

The majority of cars from the 1940s to the mid 1970s used 80-20 loop in their cars. The major exception being Cadillac which used cut pile in their cars at various times.

So, what does "various times" exactly mean ? When did Cadillacs feature cut pile carpets ? What should I use in my own car ?

By the way, which interior colors were available in 1952 ? I can find this information neither in the year's sales folder, nor in my shop manual, nor in Data Book pages reproduced in Roy Schneider's book. My car's seats and door panels are covered with gray wool cloth, its carpets look like a dull greenish. Outside has been repainted burgundy decades ago, but was originally black.

Thank you

Philippe:

My suggestion is to get a sample of carpet from Jenkins.  He reproduces carpet and
upholstery fabric / leather for all of the 50's caddies and has the best material.  Get your
color codes off of the firewall plate and ask him for a sample.  He'll be glad to send one.
I've used his carpet, leather and reproduction door panels and was very satisfied.

The website is:  http://www.411web.com/J/JENKINSRESTOR/
P.O. Box 1509
North Wilkesboro, NC 28659-1509
USA
(336) 667-4282 

By the way, I'm pretty sure that the correct type of carpet for your car is the closed
loop (tightly woven type) that was typical to most all 50's caddies, with the possible
exception of the Eldorado Brougham's 57-59, which I believe was cut pile.  Cut pile
didn't come into general use until the '70's in Caddies, which is what my '73 Eldo has.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

J. Govoni CLC 20546

I agree with Mike. They did the carpet for my 53. It's one of the few things in my restoration that went absolutely right. They have the trunk kit too,get one, there are none better.  Jim

Mark

Quote from: Mike Josephic on October 22, 2007, 10:54:49 PM

By the way, I'm pretty sure that the correct type of carpet for your car is the closed
loop (tightly woven type) that was typical to most all 50's caddies, with the possible
exception of the Eldorado Brougham's 57-59, which I believe was cut pile.  Cut pile
didn't come into general use until the '70's in Caddies, which is what my '73 Eldo has.

Mike

The 57/58 Eldo Brougham had two different carpets available:  either Karakul (wool) or Mouton (sheepskin like a fur)

My 64 had a nice plush carpet (cut pile?).  Believe similar carpet used in other mid 60s Cads also.

Philippe M. Ruel

Thanks for your replies :)

@Yann : I was mostly interested in interior color combinations, i.e. seats vs. carpets, to identify the fading color of my carpet. Exterior colors may give clues... The body plate shows trim code #61 (see photo).

@Mike and Jim : I completed a sample request mentioning trim code on Jenkins' web site ; I got no answer but I am awaiting a sample. Thanks for indicating this possibility.

I'll let you know what happens.

Philippe M. Ruel

Quote from: Philippe M. Ruel on October 27, 2007, 08:00:54 AMI'll let you know what happens.
I got a quick reply from Jenkins, my car is equipped with a 100% wool, cut-pile carpet. They can provide me with a new carpet for $795 plus shipping, I just have to send them a piece of my old carpet for color match.

This price sounds high, but reasonable for a 100% wool carpet. It is unfortunately out of my budget, which is not a "restoration budget" but a "make-it-driveable" one.

Thanks to people at Jenkins, who gave me a quick and sound answer, and to folks on this forum who gave me this good address :)

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

Hi Philippe, I got the carpet for my 54 CDV from Kanter. I had a portion of my original carpet attached to a rail under my front seat and it was a loop pile and the carpet from Kanter was very similar. The original didn't appear to be very special and not $795 worth to me [I'm not knocking Jenkins, just stating my opinion of the look of the original]. I can't remember which type I got from Kanter , but it was the more expensive option, however it is at least partially synthetic , not 100% wool. The moths won't eat it and I'm not getting shocks from it !
All the best,
Philippe Whyte

Philippe M. Ruel

Thanks for sharing your experience, I will probably order a new carpet from Kanter or another supplier. Even if it is 100% synthetic (most chances are for 80% nylon / 20% rayon) it will certainly make my interior look better. But believe me, nothing beats the smell of wool cloth seats and 100% wool carpets, they are just another evidence that they don't make cars like this anymore :)

Kerry

Hi, Here's my two bits with regarding carpet.  Loop carpet seems to catch every little sliver or hair or other nuisance that comes along. Cut pile is so much nicer as you can vacuum  out the debris so much easier. Just a thought. Kerry

52Cadillac

SemperFiFund.org
(Helping combat injured Marines)

Philippe M. Ruel

Oooooh Mike you found this old thread :D

I ended up purchasing a $80 replacement cut-pile synthetic carpet, grey color, which is on my car now. Don't remember exactly where, must be on eBay. Not the right material, nor a perfect fit, but it loks better than the old battered original one.

A few months later on eBay, I came across a NORS grey wool cut-pile carpet, manufactured by Newark Auto Top and Body Co., Newark, NJ.
It still was (and is) in its original carton sent to Burke Motor Sales, Wildwood, NJ in the mid-50s  with its label "1950 60S Fleetwood".
Let me some time to install it : the low price ($30 ?) included the rear carpet only, so it needs hiring a chauffeur to enjoy it in the rear compartment ;D .

It is definitely cut-pile, and not molded.

Martin Michaels

Hi all,I am getting ready to buy my interior from Kanters, how is the fit and installation of their product. Thanks Marty.
Marty  CLC#26833
1947 6269  Cavern Green
1980 CDV D Elegance  White