News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

How to create a brushed metal look on Bolts???

Started by Marc A. Thurston, October 23, 2007, 05:53:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc A. Thurston

I recently took some bolts to a local shop for plating.  Upon inspection of the final product I determined that the bolts were too shiny for the engine application that I need.  The owner of the shop suggested that I finish the bolts in a brushed metal finish.  He further suggested that I complete this step on my own as it is "easy" and would save me money. 

On my first attempt to duplicate the sample that the shop provided I used a fine grit emory cloth.  Although the results were close to the sample, it took me 3 hours to finish 2 bolts...I have a total of 56 to complete!

I contacted Eastwoods to see if they had any suggestions regarding a tool that might make this process easier. Unfortunately they did not have any suggestions.

If anyone has any suggestions on a technique or tool to achieve the brushed metal appearance, I would be VERY appreciative if you could share it.

Thanks
Marc A. Thurston
1932 7-Passenger  Fleetwood V-8 Cadillac

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Try a Dremel tool with a fine grit sanding disc and finish with the wire
brush attachment.   It's much faster -- don't know if it will do exacrly what
you want but it's a heck of alot faster than what you're doing. 

The Dremel is one of my most used tools in my shop.  Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Marc A. Thurston

Marc A. Thurston

Larry F

Won't the fasteners rust if you do this? Why don't you have them cad or zinc plated?

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Quote from: Larry F on October 24, 2007, 01:45:05 PM
Won't the fasteners rust if you do this? Why don't you have them cad or zinc plated?

Your right -- if you remove ALL of the plating they will rust.  However, it should
be possible to give the finish that "brushed" look and take the shine off without
doing that.  If not, you could always spray them with alittle low gloss clear
coat (such as Eastwood makes).

I'm not sure what type of plating was used on these bolts.  Silver Cad, in my
experience is usually not that glossy.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Marc A. Thurston

In hindsight I should have insisted that they use zinc/cad/nickel plating.  Unfortunately is appears that they used a chrome plating.  I am being extra careful to only dull the surface so that I don't have to worry about rust which was the original reason to have them plated.

The lesson of experience...
Marc A. Thurston

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Marc,

If you are able to achieve a brushed look on your plated bolts with the Dremel, I strongly suspect your finish is something soft like a nickel or zinc alloy. If that is the case, whatever you remove by brushing weakens the barrier to some extent. Chrome, either hard chrome or triple plate, is very hard and would not ‘brush” with a wire wheel. If you have access to a sand blast cabinet you may want to try plastic bead de-burring or vapor hone. I’m replacing the bolts and washers on my ’66 with stainless. I used soft plastic beads (available through Grainger) to achieve the matte finish. You’ll need a blasting cabinet to recover the beads while processing as the beads are about $55 for 40 pounds……..and 40 pounds goes very quickly in an open air blast set up.

HTH,
Ralph
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Johan Boltendal #158

Hello Mark,

What bolts are we talking about, the finish in '32 on the V8 was cadmium,parkerised (sort of gloss black)and some chrome or nickle, where did you find all those chrome
nuts and bolts. If you want a different finish take them back, the chrome comes off in no time, they are polished, so another finish is minutes.

Johan

Marc A. Thurston

Johan - The bolts were from the manifold area of the car. (We were also going to use the same look on the fasteners that attach the two plates that covers the valves) This was one of the only intact sections of the engine when I purchased it.  Although I was missing a couple of the bolts I was able to match up the existing bolts with the specifications that you sent me.  At this point all of the "original" (?) bolts were a metallic color but more towards the dull versus shiny sheen.  When I saw the example of the brushed metal look. I thought this looked the closest to the original bolts when they were removed.

Since I am having a challenging time tracking down the entire lineage of the car I have been unable to determine how much work had taken place on the engine.  It is hard to verify on some of the items if they were still in their original condition.

Do you think we should make paint these fasteners black?

Marc
Marc A. Thurston

Johan Boltendal #158

Hello Mark,

All bolts and washers at the manifolds are steel cadmium plated, accc. to the MPL, as to the information regarding the bolts, I have send you,these bolts and washers should all have this cadmium plating.  Good luck
Johan

John Morris #23947

Use the wire wheel on your bench grinder, taking seconds per bolt. Be sure NOT to polish too much, you will loose the zinc coating. Too much will also shine them.
71 Olds 98 LS, 66 Fairlane 500 XL Convertible, 55 Packard Clipper Super, 58 Edsel Ranger, 72 Cheyenne Super, many 49-60 parts cars, abandoned "House Of Doom" full of 49-60 parts. Huge piles of engine parts, brackets, tin, Hydramatic & Jetaway parts,  thousands of stainless moldings, dozens of perfect sedan doors.

Marc A. Thurston

Thanks everyone.  I have my weekend homework assignment.

Marc
Marc A. Thurston