News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Is there a revised Belt Tensioner for '93 DeVille?

Started by Rob Bruining CLC 12428, October 25, 2007, 01:53:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob Bruining CLC 12428

Just replace the water pump for the second time(7,000 mi. on last one) and now the bearing in the alternator is rattling  (this will be the third replacement) on our '93 Deville with only 107,000 mi. I had a lot of alternator problems with the '90 I previously owned. Someone says they think replacemant belt tensioners may be revised with less tension on the belt. Is this true? Do I need to buy a certain brand belt tensioner? Please help?  Rob

Len Sholes

Rob if it makes you feel any better I have had the same amount of failures as you have on my 92 Coupe de Ville with the 4.9 engine. No coolant leak just a noisy water pump bearing. I went to my local dealer and asked the service department in their was a different tensioner with a weaker spring as it was quite obvious to me that this is the only thing that could be causing the bearings to fail. I was advised that no and he did not seem interested in my theory. He had to agree that it was more than likely the cause of the problem. Good luck and maybe someone out there may have an answer for us. The water pump on this engine is not the easiest thing to change.