All Cads

Author Topic: oil filter for 39 La Salle  (Read 1638 times)

Bruce

oil filter for 39 La Salle
« on: October 28, 2007, 09:22:16 PM »
I have seen firewall mounted oil filters on some older cars. Could someone tell me how well they work and where to purchase one.  I have been working on my 90 year old friend Wes's 1939 Series 50 La Salle for about a year and we are about to attempt to start the rebuilt engine and using an oil filter from the get go seems like a good idea.
Happy Trails --Bruce

Offline Fred Zwicker #23106

• 1930 LaSalle Conv. Coupe - Restored
  • CLC Number: 23106
  • Name: Fred Zwicker
Re: oil filter for 39 La Salle
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 09:50:15 PM »
I have seen firewall mounted oil filters on some older cars. Could someone tell me how well they work and where to purchase one.  I have been working on my 90 year old friend Wes's 1939 Series 50 La Salle for about a year and we are about to attempt to start the rebuilt engine and using an oil filter from the get go seems like a good idea.
Happy Trails --Bruce

:D Just last week I first started my 1939 LaSalle rebuilt engine, but no oil filter.  The 1939 LaSalle did not come from the factory with an oil filter (to my knowledge) and while not a bad idea, an add-on filter would not be a full-flow type, so the value is questionable.  Due to expected low mileage on such a car, if the oil is changed every 1000 miles, you should be fine.  Some like non-detergent oil, but since my engine is now "new' I am going to use detergent 30 Wt. oil wwithouta filter and change oil on a regular basis.  My engine rebuilder (Shepard's in Akron, Ohio) said to change the oil when the engine is hot to drain out all of the gunk and he recommended detergent oil with some EOS or similar additive.  I anticipate no problems running without a filter and am saving the time to locate, mount and hook up same.  Attached is a picture of my engine after rebuilding.

Fred
1930 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, CCCA Senior
1939 LaSalle 2-Dr. Conv.  CLC Senior in 2008
1940 Cadillac Series 75 4 Dr. Convertible
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1948 Cadillac Convertible - modified by Holly (driver)
1966 Cadillac DeVille Conv. Restored - Red
See Pictures at www.tpcarcollection.com

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13