News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Savannah GN First Place Award Badges? Need Advice.

Started by Bill Podany #19567, October 29, 2007, 01:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Podany #19567

My 41 Cadillac took a first place award in the Premier Class at the Savannah Grand National; what do I have to do to receive the award badge/ring that is to be attached to the car?  If someone from National knows the answer, I would appreciated your advice.

Bill Podany
1941 60 Special Fleetwood
1955 Eldorado

Jeff Hansen

Bill,

There is no "Premier" class in the CLC.  I assume you meant to say "Senior" class.   :)

To my knowledge, there is no ring, badge, or similar hardware distributed when one wins in Senior Class.

To be sure, you might want to contact Chief Judge Carl Steig.  Carl's phone number is (510) 483-7946.  He does not have email.

HTH,
Jeff Hansen
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

Bill Podany #19567

Jeff,

I meant Senior Class, sorry.  I have an award badge for the first place in the Primary Class, so I assumed a Senior Ring/attachment would follow; this is the CCCA process.  I have been reluctant to contact Carl Steig fearing he might be enduring the California fires.

Bill Podany
Knoxville, TN
1955 Eldorado

Mark

Bill

I think that you are indicating the Senior badge as referenced in the 2007 CLC Directory pgs 50-51 and Senior cars listed by Badge number on pgs 56-64. 

** Senior Badges.  Senior badges are not issued until the judging results are official. 
                      Replacement badges are subject to a nominal fee; contact the national chief or a deputy.

Jeff Hansen

Guys,

The Senior badge is what you get when you win first place in Primary Class.  It signifies that you now have a Senior car and are to be judged with other Senior cars at future Grand Nationals.  Having won first place in Primary Class 12 in Savannah, I received the Senior badge for my car and that is what it stated on the letter that came with the badge.  To my knowledge, there is no other ring, badge, etc. given for winning first place in Senior class.  You get a very nice trophy, but nothing to attach to the car.

:)

Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Quote from: South_paw on October 29, 2007, 07:43:19 PM
I always found this to be odd. IMHO, it should be the other way around. The primary 1st place should be a trophy and a senior 1st  place should be the badge.  :)     

I agree that it can be a bit confusing, especially if you are accustomed to other club
practices, such as AACA.  However, what Jeff points out in an earlier post is corrrect
in that when you win a first in Primary, your car becomes a "Senior" and you get
your badge.  I must admit, even though I've been doing this for over 25 years, that
after my '55 Eldo won a first at Savannah (never having done it before) I was surprised
when my badge arrived in the mail about 6 weeks later.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Barry M Wheeler #2189

My badge arrived about six weeks after the meet, and is now on my '79. I got some double-faced ornament tape from my local body shop and placed it on the outside LH mirror so I can enjoy it each time I get in the car. My rear view mirror still has the original lot tag on it, so I didn't want to place it there.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Johnny F #662

Quote from: Barry Wheeler on October 30, 2007, 09:43:05 AM
My badge arrived about six weeks after the meet, and is now on my '79. I got some double-faced ornament tape from my local body shop and placed it on the outside LH mirror so I can enjoy it each time I get in the car. My rear view mirror still has the original lot tag on it, so I didn't want to place it there.

Not sure Barry, but I don't think that is the proper place to put the badge.  I put mine on the back of the inside rear window per the instructions.

Barry M Wheeler #2189

As I said, the rear view mirror already has the original lot tag on it. Several locations are mentioned, including the outside  RH "cowl" of the car such as is done for CCCA era cars. Also the glove box door. I have found from previous experience that the decal on the 1979 cars is easily damaged on the glove box so did not wish to place it there. With the mirror location, the badge is easily removed with solvent, and the adhesive/solvent will not damage the chrome on the mirror. I have plenty of time to alter it before 2008 judging if I feel a change is needed. The important thing is that it be mounted on the car, as it belongs to the car, not me.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Johnny F #662

Quote from: Barry Wheeler on October 31, 2007, 09:20:07 AM
As I said, the rear view mirror already has the original lot tag on it. Several locations are mentioned, including the outside  RH "cowl" of the car such as is done for CCCA era cars. Also the glove box door. I have found from previous experience that the decal on the 1979 cars is easily damaged on the glove box so did not wish to place it there. With the mirror location, the badge is easily removed with solvent, and the adhesive/solvent will not damage the chrome on the mirror. I have plenty of time to alter it before 2008 judging if I feel a change is needed. The important thing is that it be mounted on the car, as it belongs to the car, not me.

Barry, I have always felt that our cars are ours, and we can do whatever we sit fit to do them with them, and that includes mounting awards.  With that said, I was only curious about this "original lot tag" you mention.  I assume it is a "tag" that the dealer used to identify cars in his inventory.  Does it take up the whole back of your inside rear view mirror?

Barry M Wheeler #2189

The tag is large enough on one side that it would not "balance" the look of the award, which is slightly smaller. I felt that it would look as if I were starting to use the back of the mirror for all and sundry. It is a dealer control tag never removed by the original owner. She bought it off the showroom floor, so I assume that it did not go through a complete delivery prep. When I was selling cars, we would usually just wipe any fingerprints from the surface that a car might have picked up iif we had a similar type sale. The car also has the original Chapman tags for the alarm systerm and the State Farm warning labels (that they were doing as a service at the time,) to be able to tell if any fender, hood, door, etc, had been replaced in the event of an accident. If the major body part didn't carry the etched SN, the parts were not original to the car, A subsequent owner could tell whether or not the car had been damaged seriously by checking for the presence (or lack thereof) these #s.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Quote from: Johnny F #662 on October 31, 2007, 12:49:49 PM
Quote from: Barry Wheeler on October 31, 2007, 09:20:07 AM

Barry, I have always felt that our cars are ours, and we can do whatever we sit fit to do them with them, and that includes mounting awards.  With that said, I was only curious about this "original lot tag" you mention.  I assume it is a "tag" that the dealer used to identify cars in his inventory.  Does it take up the whole back of your inside rear view mirror?

Just an FYI for you folks:

When you receive your Senior Badge you will have a letter from Carl Steig enclosed
with it that gives the locations as to where the badge should be displayed.  To quote
from the letter "The back side of the rear view mirror is suitable for later cars, the cowl
between the hood and front door near the body molding for the 20's and 30's cars, 
the firewall or dashboard for early cars and panel below the driver's seat for very early cars. "

This gives some consistency to where the badge is located and helps the judges alot
when we're looking for where it is.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Johnny F #662

Quote from: Barry Wheeler on October 31, 2007, 03:07:34 PM
The tag is large enough on one side that it would not "balance" the look of the award, which is slightly smaller. I felt that it would look as if I were starting to use the back of the mirror for all and sundry. It is a dealer control tag never removed by the original owner. She bought it off the showroom floor, so I assume that it did not go through a complete delivery prep. When I was selling cars, we would usually just wipe any fingerprints from the surface that a car might have picked up iif we had a similar type sale. The car also has the original Chapman tags for the alarm systerm and the State Farm warning labels (that they were doing as a service at the time,) to be able to tell if any fender, hood, door, etc, had been replaced in the event of an accident. If the major body part didn't carry the etched SN, the parts were not original to the car, A subsequent owner could tell whether or not the car had been damaged seriously by checking for the presence (or lack thereof) these #s.

Barry, I am the original owner of my 85 Eldo, and tried to keep it as original as possible.  I still have the knockout numbers from both sets of keys.  There is still a dealers stock number on the radiator shroud, that was put there probably by the get ready people,  It was written with a yellow crayon.  I put my badge on the rear view mirror drivers side.

Bill Podany #19567

Fellow CLC Members,

I remain confused.  When your Cadillac wins a first place in the primary division its status moves to being a Senior Car, and it is awarded a badge to be attached to the car.  When that same car subsequently wins a first place in the senior division (minimum 98 points) its status moves to being a Senior Winner; however it is not awarded another badge or an additional ring to the original badge signifying the car's most coveted CLC award as a Senior Winner. 

So where is the motivation for recognition to the Cadillac owner to have the car judged a second time after winning initially in the primary class, other than receiving a nice trophy for my mantel place?   The CCCA and the AACA provide award rings to be attached to the primary badge as the car advances and wins in the senior or premier divisions.   

Bill Podany
# 19567
1955 Eldorado

Mark

Quote from: Bill Podany #19567 on November 01, 2007, 12:22:01 PM

So where is the motivation for recognition to the Cadillac owner to have the car judged a second time after winning initially in the primary class, other than receiving a nice trophy for my mantel place?   The CCCA and the AACA provide award rings to be attached to the primary badge as the car advances and wins in the senior or premier divisions.   

Bill,

I agree.  Sounds like a good idea to propose to the National Board at their next meeting this winter in AZ.  If you can't be there in person you could ask your Region rep or someone on the board to present on your behalf.

CLC#12231

Quote from: South_paw on November 01, 2007, 02:35:55 PM
Me three :)

If no badge, then perhaps a running list of Senior class winners should be published in the CLC directory...   

Lou

Look on pages 56 - 64 of the 2007 Directory.  There are 598 Senior cars listed.
Frank

Johnny F #662

Quote from: Bill Podany #19567 on November 01, 2007, 12:22:01 PM
Fellow CLC Members,

I remain confused.  When your Cadillac wins a first place in the primary division its status moves to being a Senior Car, and it is awarded a badge to be attached to the car.  When that same car subsequently wins a first place in the senior division (minimum 98 points) its status moves to being a Senior Winner; however it is not awarded another badge or an additional ring to the original badge signifying the car's most coveted CLC award as a Senior Winner. 

Bill Podany
# 19567

Great point, and another thorn in the side for the judging committee.

Lars Kneller 8246

I will take the subject to the Board meeting.  It sounds like a good idea to me.

Lars Kneller
Chair, Long Range Planning

Bill Podany #19567

Quote from: Lars Kneller 8246 on November 04, 2007, 10:43:47 AM
I will take the subject to the Board meeting.  It sounds like a good idea to me.

Lars Kneller
Lars, this sounds like a very reasonable change in the clubs policy regarding those Cadillac's who have achieved the highest award as a Senior Winner.  For example, the plaque stays with the car; how does the owner prove that his car holds a Senior Winner status in the CLC.  I have no letter from club officials regarding this achievement; this is common practice in the CCCA and the AACA, and these records remain in my permanent files on the car.  Carl Steig has provided me with a summary of the Judging Synopsis for both the primary win in Des Moines and the senior win in Savannah.  This is the only proof I have gotten for the the senior win that stays with the car as the trophy may remain on my mantel if the car is sold.  Hope this helps.

Bill Podany
1955 Eldorado

Johnny F #662

Quote from: Bill Podany #19567 on November 04, 2007, 12:19:25 PM
Quote from: Lars Kneller 8246 on November 04, 2007, 10:43:47 AM

Lars Kneller
Lars, this sounds like a very reasonable change in the clubs policy regarding those Cadillac's who have achieved the highest award as a Senior Winner.  For example, the plaque stays with the car; how does the owner prove that his car holds a Senior Winner status in the CLC.  I have no letter from club officials regarding this achievement; this is common practice in the CCCA and the AACA, and these records remain in my permanent files on the car.  Carl Steig has provided me with a summary of the Judging Synopsis for both the primary win in Des Moines and the senior win in Savannah.  This is the only proof I have gotten for the the senior win that stays with the car as the trophy may remain on my mantel if the car is sold.  Hope this helps.

Bill Podany

With my award, I received a certificate and form letter.