News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

What sort of color is 1932-4 Cathedral Gray?

Started by Tom Hall 7485, October 29, 2007, 04:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Hall 7485

Yes, gray, I know, but dark? Medium? Light? Bluish? Greenish? Brownish? Yellowish? Metallic?  Unfortunately is not shown on the Auto Color Library web site, where the pickin's are slim for the 1930s Cadillacs and La Salles.  A comparison to another year's colors would be helpful, especially if 1938-75 Cadillac.
Tom Hall, CLC Member 7485, Lifetime member since the mid-1990s.

homeonprunehill

Quote from: Tom Hall 7485 on October 29, 2007, 04:49:06 PM
Yes, gray, I know, but dark? Medium? Light? Bluish? Greenish? Brownish? Yellowish? Metallic?  Unfortunately is not shown on the Auto Color Library web site, where the pickin's are slim for the 1930s Cadillacs and La Salles.  A comparison to another year's colors would be helpful, especially if 1938-75 Cadillac.

10-29-07
Tom, indeed, the 1934 La Salle could be "special ordered" with Cathedral Gray body color with Vincennes Red wheels (I think it is a close match to a FORD color, Maybe some Ford man will come-up with a number) and Black fenders (Black,if you liked black or not) Sorry, my best guess would be for a "Light Gray. ( Use the SEARCH Function and search for "VINCENNES RED" and see what you come-up with. HTH
Good Luck,JIM
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

Tom Hall 7485

Vincennes Red is not a question mark for me. It was used on some wheels of 1941 Cadillacs and is a red-orange.

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Tom, the paint formula for 1932 IS available at the auto color library. You will have to speak with their paint guru and let him tell you what shade it is. Not like seeing it, but at least you could get an idea before you bite the bullet and see if you want to spend eighty bucks for a quart. I did this for the paint I bought from them for my 1941, which will be 1932 Toledo Brown. I saw a 41-60S on ebay painted in this color which had been done as a SO car originally. They also supplied a 3 x5 card with the color while they were putting the quart of paint in eight spray bombs for my firewall, inside of the fenders, trunk lid and so on that I can do before turning the "outside" over to professionals. They even sent what was left out of the quart. This cost me $159.85 total.
I also have some duplicates of 1939 factory literature about payments or a contest, I can't remember which. I can send duplicates if you want for your research.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Tom Hall 7485

Thanks for your reply.  My interest in the color is from looking at a factory Car Record and wondering whether to paint a plastic model in the same color combo.  So, a very limited budget for the research.  However, I can see a better method to view the old color, so long as it has an IM code.  Fortunately, Cathedral Gray does have an IM code and on Auto Color Library he has the corresponding chips, albeit with different color names. My Cathedral Gray is very dark, not what I hoped for. :P  Your Toledo Brown is very dark, too and is aka Connaught Brown or something like that. 

Thanks, also for your offer of sales contest info.  I will contact you by e-mail on that.  I hope it's not like the sales contest in the movie Glengarry, Glen Ross.  There, the 1st place winner of the sales contest was promised a new Cadillac. The second place salesman was to win a set of steak knives.  The third place salesman was to get a pink slip.

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I can top that! When I worked for Richman Brothers Clothing, we were headquartered in Cleveland, OH. It was commonly upheld that first prize in sales contests was a one week trip to Cleveland. Second prize was TWO weeks! (Apologies to any of our respondents in the city on the lake.) This was back in the days when the Cuyahoga River caught fire...
The Toledo brown was used in 1932/1933 I believe. I will also have to figure out what color the top was, as it appeared to be a caramel fudge color of tan.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville