News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1933 v-8 cyl block info

Started by Dennis Riordan CLC 23308, October 30, 2007, 04:23:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Riordan CLC 23308

Looking for info-on the avalibity of a set of 1933 flat head cyl  blocks assy, with only slight wear. we went 0.80 over in the bore and have found the metal not too good out there in thin`s land. the new rings went away in 200 miles cast iron rings and oil rings alike were gone, egge did the pistons,  and rings were cast iron steel oil control but all were end gapped correctly and cooling oil ect all fit good but massive ring failure happened no overheating occured either.Has nayone ever bored a 33 flat head v-8 caddy 0.80 over and had this result? we are now looking for a new set or some one to machine a set of blocks? Any help. Thanks Dennis. ???
Dennis Riordan
CLC 23308

homeonprunehill

10-30-07
DENNIS, Didn't know that any engine could be drilled .80 over. Suggest you install sleeves and drill them out to STD. size. And make sure that the oil contains enought ZDDP. I know that going the sleeve route will be costly, but it may be your only choise.
Good Luck,JIM
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

Wayne Womble 12210

Many engines can go .0080, but I dont know about the 353. I have never tried .0080 on that one. I would doubt that was the real cause of the wear though. How much wear is now in the cylinder?  There are lots of these engines being traded out for modern stuff now. You should be able to locate one.