News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1950 Cadillac correct color paint???

Started by Jim, November 01, 2007, 10:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim

Need some advise from 1950 Cadillac guru's on paint. My 4 door had a Black painted top (invoice paint number 253-2122) and the body painted Blue (paint number 207-39285).  Is there a modern paint number, or paint chip for the Blue color? Also, should the underside of the hood and cowl be painted black, or the same color as the body-Blue? Same question for the underside of the trunk lid. At the factory, did they paint the inside of these cars ,inside of the doors, floor pans and inside the trunk the same color as the body?  THANKS in advance, Jim ???

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

Hi Jim, when I did my 54 I looked into this. I contacted PPG with the colour code and they can still supply the correct paint [they will put you in touch with one of their retail outlets] . If I'm not wrong I believe the colour codes were shorter [just two digits], you will find them on the body plate under the hood along with the accessories codes. Not every PPG supplier does the appropriate paint , so contact them direct in the USA. I live in England , so I ended up having to match the paint to original colour chips because I couldn't air freight the paint over here economically - I got a spot on match though. Buy the Authenticity Manual from the CLC for your car, it will tell you what colour everything is painted , plated etc. etc. My 54 and I believe many other years of Cadillacs were painted in red oxide primer on the underside , the inside and the trunk [but not the underside of the lid], the chassis is semi gloss black. The inner fenders are body colour , the radiator support is semi gloss black. Hope this helps.
Phil

35-709

To see the color chart for your car go to ---- http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/   Put in the year and make of your car and the color chart will come up, click on it to enlarge it, using the two digit paint code number from the body data plate as Phil mentioned you can find your original color.  As you will see, Auto Color Library can duplicate your color in just about any paint type you wish.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2