News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1957 60 Special Beige Broadcloth Interior

Started by Ralph Williams, CLC # 18472, November 04, 2007, 04:44:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Williams, CLC # 18472

Does anyone have a '57 60 Special with all beige broadcloth interior (Trim Code 65)?  If possible, I'd like to get pictures of what this interior is supposed to look like.

I've begun fixing up the '57 and I'm trying to verify the interior combinations of broadcloth, vinyl, and carpet.  I've owned this car for a little over a year, so I don't know much of its history.  At some point, the seats were reupholstered in a dark brown.

The door panels still have the original light beige upholstery.

Also, the carpet has been replaced with a dark brown loop pile.  I know the carpet is supposed to be a plush pile and believe the original color was light beige, because that's the color of the carpet on the bottom of the front seat back.

I'm trying to verify the following:

1.  The color of the carpet.

2.  The color of the vinyl on the front seat back and over the arm rests on the door panels.  On my car, this vinyl looks to be original, but it is very faded.  It looks like it might have started out as a light beige or cream color (the parts manual calls it light beige).  There is dark brown vinyl across the top of the door panels to match the dark brown dash.

One other thing that is a little different about my car...  It was special ordered with Copper Eldorado paint (Paint code 98).  I verified this through the Cadillac archives.  The build sheet clearly shows my car as a special request with paint code 98.

I've sent a request for samples to SMS Auto Fabrics.  I was able to obtain original upholstery for both my '55 and '59 through them.  But, prior to purchasing the fabric, I was also able to get pictures of the interiors similar cars to further verify the colors.  As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words...

I'm a bit of a purist.  I like to restore my cars as close to original as possible. 

As always, I appreciate everyone's help.

Ralph

Ralph Williams, CLC # 18472, Life Member
1953 Coupe DeVille
1955 Fleetwood 60 Special
1959 Sedan DeVille
2014 CTS-V Coupe

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Ralph,

Sounds like an elegant and unusual car. I suggest you contact Bill Hirsh for the broadcloth. He carries a wide selection of colors and material weights. The seat weight is heavier than the door panels. I purchased gray English wool broadcloth from him for my ’66 and was very happy with the quality and price. I have a ’57 Color & Upholstery book and will scan the material samples. The scan is not perfect but you’ll be able see to the shades and select materials from there. The fabrics and vinyl today are slightly different shades than those originally available. You can then select a vinyl that is compatible/complimentary with the new broadcloth. On my car the original gray cloth had a blue cast to it. The closest I could get was neutral gray so I chose a compatible shade of gray vinyl for the doors. The color difference is there but not noticeable unless the broadcloths are side by side

The door tops and dash should be dark brown and the carpet would have been beige. Cut a sample from under the rear of the front seat to get the color. Unfortunately you will not be able to get the thick plush cut pile. It is no longer made in moldable grade carpet. If you insist on that level of plushness you’ll have to use house carpeting which will have to be cut and sewn to contour. It’s a difficult job and you’ll have trouble finding someone willing to use the house weight material.

HTH,
Ralph
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Ralph Williams, CLC # 18472

Thanks Ralph!  This is exactly the type of information I need.

Any scans you can provide from your upholstery book would be very helpful. 

She really is a beautiful old gal and I want to be sure of the correct color combinations before I dive into a new interior.

Eventually, I'm going to restore the exterior as well, but the paint is decent.  The interior is a bit on the rough side.

I'm also in the process of installing factory air (important where I live in the San Antonio, TX area).  Researching and tracking down those parts was fun.  Of course, I had plenty of help from my fellow CLC members on that part of the project as well.

I've attached a couple of pictures of her--a work in progress.  One picture is of the interior so you can see what I'm working with. 

In looking at the interior picture again, it appears there are actually three shades of vinyl on the door panels--dark brown on top, a pale brown or tan below the metal piece (where the door handle and vent window crank are), and light beige or cream covering the arm rest to include the area where the door crest is located.  But, everything except the dark brown is very faded, so I'm not sure what the original color should look like.

Thanks again.

Ralph
Ralph Williams, CLC # 18472, Life Member
1953 Coupe DeVille
1955 Fleetwood 60 Special
1959 Sedan DeVille
2014 CTS-V Coupe