News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Single Point Membership & Dues Renewal Process

Started by Paul R. Olson, November 04, 2007, 10:10:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul R. Olson

I am the Membership Guy for the Rocky Mountain Region.  We would like to see who would be interested in having a single process for membership to both the National and Regional Clubs?  The national club has a very slick e-commerce membership application and renewal process.  We also have a number of members that would if done by mail only have to respond to a single membership renewal form.  We also have a few members that are belong to multiple regions.  Having a single form or process would make this a whole lot easier.   

This would also help ensure that all regional members are also national members which has been a hot topic at the national level lately.

We see this single point membership process as a huge win for both the regions and the national club.

If you are interested please respond.  If this idea has no merit whatsoever please respond as well.

Thank you for your attention.

Paul R. Olson
CLC Member #6198
Rocky Mountain Region
Membership Guy

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I started a post Sunday about "seeing" things on the message board not getting to the Board, and then we start the whole nasty thing again about "nobody cares, nobody likes what I suggest." I deleted it for later action, and when I saw Paul's idea, I am taking the opportunity to pass on a precautionary thought or two in it's stead, since his suggestion is something I feel needs to be addressed.

This message board is NOT an official sounding board of the Board. People like myself or Lars will endeavor to pass things on, (See Lars' comment about the Senior Awards) but if you want an absolute response to your idea, there is nothing like a hard copy, snail mail delivered to the person responsible. With a copy to your Regional Vice President.

Personally, I think this is a great idea whose time has come. Write a letter to Jeff Hansen, and the CLC office manager, with a copy to Dave Ritchie, your Regional VP. This should assure that the matter is taken under advisement. To be sure, write also to Jay Ann Edmunds, our National Sec'y and ask to have the subject placed on the Official Agenda for the next Board Meeting as a sub topic under Membership, not New Business. This will ensure that your idea will be seen as a possible solution to the Regional/National membership problem, not something shoved off until 3:30PM in the afternoon when everyone is tired.

As an aside, I am Treasurer of the Indiana Region, and we have electronic deposit capability, so that Lars can deposit funds he gets from past issue sales. Adding the national account for funds transfer should be not that much of a problem to get around in our case. Jeff can help with the computer end of it, the Books can advise what their accounting might need, and Dave will bird dog the whole shebang.

E-mails from unknown receipients are often deleted, lost, put in an unknown folder, never to be pulled up again. If a matter is in someones hot little hand, you have proof that he/she got it.

Again, do NOT rely on this message board to "get the job done." Send a hard copy to the person responsible. Back to the stone age again? Perhaps, but it's not that hard to open your Word, print what your thoughts are, and send it in an envelope with a stamp to the persons concerned. THEN, if it doesn't get noticed, you have something to complain about.

No offense to you, Paul. I was just waiting for an "example" to put my point across.
Again, it is a great idea that should be able to be worked out. Good job!
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Johnny F #662

This message board is NOT an official sounding board of the Board. People like myself or Lars will endeavor to pass things on, (See Lars' comment about the Senior Awards) but if you want an absolute response to your idea, there is nothing like a hard copy, snail mail delivered to the person responsible. With a copy to your Regional Vice President.

Barry,

In this day and age, why wouldn't email be a way to correspond with the powers to be, with issues pertaining to the club.  I submit that people would be more prone to sending an email, then composing a letter, putting it in an envelope, and mailing it.  Afterall the club does provide a list of individuals with their area of expertise, with email address, frequently with phone number and fax number.  I think reading  email's  would be eaiser then easier to deal with, then snailmail.  Its easier to file and find, and pass along to other individuals who might have an interest in what was sent.

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Most certainly, the e-mail addresses to officers are a viable, and instant means of communication, and there is no reason why they may not be used. I was merely suggesting the means that, still, in this day, might be more effective involving a matter of importance to the sender when time is not an issue.

Our Club is using electronic communication where ever possible. But a letter still commands somewhat more attention and respect in that it conveys that the writer has taken the time to sit down, compose it (used spell check per chance), print it, place it in an envelope and mail it.

That was the reason for my suggested (and old fashioned) way of communication in this matter. Nothing more, and nothing less. (Nor do I suggest that e-mails to officers might not be answered or taken with the same respect as a letter.)

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Paul Olson

Sorry to stir up so much dust.  I though I posed a relatively simile question.  I really wanted to see if it was worth the effort that would be required to make a more substantial and official proposal to the board on this subject.  I in no way was attempting to make this proposal via this channel.

I hope that I have not offended other club members or broken club or forum rules.

**PRO**

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Paul, Most certainly go ahead with contacting others about your proposal. Since the last time something like this was proposed, on-line banking has become easier and more prevalent.

It is possible that problems brought up previously have now been solved, and your (great) idea might now be feasible.

Go for it, and don't worry too much about what is said on the forum. Especially between the "old fogeys" like me and the new blood that thinks stamps are only for collectors, and if you can't do it on-line, forget about it.

And also like I pointed out, I was only waiting for an "example" to pursue my thoughts from the message I deleted Sunday that was never followed through on or written. The subject I may have chosen to "piggy back" on might have been something else entirely than your proposal.

I thought I had made that clear that I was not saying that your post was inapropriate, and that I admired your idea. If you thought so, my sincere apologies. (I was only saying how I would present the idea if it were me.)

But if you wish to pursue the matter via e-mail, it will receive the same attention I am sure. Just be sure to "do it" either way. You might have the solution to a problem that has plagued the Club for years.

Again, best of luck, and say hello to Rod when you see him. He was my Ex. V.P and I loved working with him.

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Lars Kneller 8246

I will be happy to bring this up to the Long Range Planning Committee and the Board.  My only thought at this point is how difficult would it be to get the region's money back to them?  It would certainly solve the problem of regional members not being national members.

Lars Kneller

Johnny F #662

Quote from: Lars Kneller 8246 on November 11, 2007, 09:17:50 PM
I will be happy to bring this up to the Long Range Planning Committee and the Board.  My only thought at this point is how difficult would it be to get the region's money back to them?  It would certainly solve the problem of regional members not being national members.

Lars Kneller

How about the issue of National members not wishing to be regional members?

Mark

Quote from: Johnny F #662 on November 11, 2007, 10:18:35 PM

Really?  You don't like to associate, mingle and exchange ideas with other persons who enjoy and appreciate vintage Cadillacs & LaSalles? 

After 20+ years belonging to a region, I consider many of the members to be life long friends. 

To each their own I guess.

Johnny F #662

Quote from: Mark on November 11, 2007, 11:40:33 PM

Really?  You don't like to associate, mingle and exchange ideas with other persons who enjoy and appreciate vintage Cadillacs & LaSalles? 

After 20+ years belonging to a region, I consider many of the members to be life long friends. 

As a 27 year member I share your enthusiasm for the camaraderie and friendship the club offers.  I was referring to members that are in areas that aren't close to region meetings and activities.

Glen

Quote from: Johnny F #662 on November 12, 2007, 05:08:33 PM
Quote from: Mark on November 11, 2007, 11:40:33 PM

As a 27 year member I share your enthusiasm for the camaraderie and friendship the club offers.  I was referring to members that are in areas that aren't close to region meetings and activities.

I go along with Johnny F.  The nearest region to me is on the order of 2500 miles and a 5 hour plane ride away.  Not very conducive to a monthly get together.  Never mind getting my car across the ocean. 

Glen
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Glenn Brown

Paul:
Thank you for your suggestion. Good ideas are always welcomed.

This issue had previously been  explored. It was decided at that time for various logistical reasons not to attempt  to do it.  The primary sticking points were that each Region has different dues amounts and different dues due dates. Additionally, it would constitute a significant increase in workload for the office staff, as it would require the CLC office staff to assume the responsibility of Regional dues management, which should remain in the Regions. 

At this time, I don’t think it is feasible, but will contact you off line to discuss it.

Glenn L. Brown
President
Cadillac & LaSalle Club, Inc.

Dirk Biermann

Actually, the Club's Management Company should be embracing and taking the lead on something like this.  If not, shouldn't we be asking why not?  It will save time for them and increase efficiency.  It certainly is feasible.  Other clubs are using these types of programs, not only for dues collection, membership recruiting and application processing, but also providing a venue for show casing member cars.   If the Club's Management Company cannot handle the technology, consider outsourcing.  We hear a lot about how youngster generations are not interested in the hobby.  Let's not put up roadblocks or make the Club look appear to be stodgy or resistant to change.  There was a discussion in this chain about National Members who live outside of metropolitan areas where Region Headquarters are located.  Having a central membership application process will allow those members to become "virtual" members of their local region if they so choose.  I think it would be of great mutual benefit to the Regions and such members.  Regions could develop a second level (perhaps lower cost) Regional Membership that gets those members on Regional e-mail distribution lists and the recipients of electronic copies of Regional Newsletters.  Before National makes a decision not to reconsider Paul's proposal, it might make sense to determine 1)  the interest at the Regional level and the cost savings that might result at that level; and 2) whether the reasons for rejecting a similar proposal in the past remain valid.