News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Timken Bearing conversion

Started by James Mundstock, October 29, 2007, 09:26:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Mundstock

I have a '55 series 62 that I would like to convert the front drums from the ball bearings to Timken beairngs. Does anyone know who makes these or where to get them and do they have replacement races so no machining is required on the drum or spindle. I was told they have them for mid 50's Olds but that person did not know where to direct me. If he was correct, they have to have them for Cadillac. Thanks.

I'm looking for the same thing for my '50 as well as my '55. I hate to pay such ridiculously high prices for old, usually stale, NOS or replacement ball bearings that weren't worth a darn in the first place. I find it hard to believe GM kept using them as long as they did. And it's just as surprising that there's so few availible today!  I'd take a tapered roller bearing anyday. I've gotten no interchange numbers yet; haven't gotten around to researching this yet. Does anyone have any suggested substitutes?????    Thanks....

bill henry

Timken bearings are made by the Timken company they are found at bearing supply houses such as bearings inc. and applied industrial technolagies .to find a conversion you need to get micrometers and find the od id and width of your old bearing
Bill Henry

James Mundstock

Thanks, Bill. We have those distributors in Cincinnati. What I am concerned about is the inner race for the ball bearing for the inner bearing has a shank for the grease seal. Most timken bearings have the inner race as part of the bearing and it slips on to the spindle so there needs to be something to take up the space of the shank of the old race for the grease seal to work.

homeonprunehill

Quote from: 12138 on November 01, 2007, 10:05:25 PM
I find it hard to believe GM kept using them as long as they did. Does anyone have any suggested substitutes?????    Thanks....

11-02-07
GM owned "New Departure" Maker of the Ball Bearings.
Later, they (GM) figured they could buy from "Timken" for less them what they were paying for their "made-in-house" product.
Good Luck,JIM
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

bill henry

if you take an old bearing to the supply house they may be able to get one with a seal shoulder on it if not you may have to go to a lip seal that rides on the spindle. also you usally use 2 single row tapered bearings on a front spindle    one on each side. so you will have to make sure you have a way to set the endplay
Bill Henry

Tom Beaver

I went through all this a while back trying to change out the front wheel bearings on my 38 LaSalle.  I think they are probably the same bearings you are looking for.  I finally got the following information from Chuck McMillen:
"I never did find a U.S. distributor for the bearings, then I found out that 
they were indicted for 'Dumping' on the U.S. market.  The manufacterer is 
Maekawa Bearing Mfg Co. in Japan"

The complete bearing set is:
                           Outer bearing and race;  Timken LM11949 and LM11919

Inner bearing and Race Assembly: Maekawa MBS 909052R

Inner Oil  seal                       Napa 19940

My local bearing suppliers had no information or sources for the japanese bearings.  Also, as I recall, one of the Timken bearings is rather pricey as well.  I finally gave up and bought new replacement ball bearings.  If you are indeed able to find replacement roller bearings you might post the results here as I think several people would be interested.  Good luck.

baxterculver

Quote from: Tom Beaver on November 05, 2007, 08:56:07 PM
I went through all this a while back trying to change out the front wheel bearings on my 38 LaSalle.  I think they are probably the same bearings you are looking for.  I finally got the following information from Chuck McMillen:
"I never did find a U.S. distributor for the bearings, then I found out that 
they were indicted for 'Dumping' on the U.S. market.  The manufacterer is 
Maekawa Bearing Mfg Co. in Japan"

The complete bearing set is:
                           Outer bearing and race;  Timken LM11949 and LM11919

Inner bearing and Race Assembly: Maekawa MBS 909052R

Inner Oil  seal                       Napa 19940

My local bearing suppliers had no information or sources for the japanese bearings.  Also, as I recall, one of the Timken bearings is rather pricey as well.  I finally gave up and bought new replacement ball bearings.  If you are indeed able to find replacement roller bearings you might post the results here as I think several people would be interested.  Good luck.
I purchased a set of front wheel bearings on e-Bay several years ago and installed them in my '39.  Good thing I did.  The old bearings came out in pieces!  The inner bearing/race assembly was of Japanese manufacture.  Several others, in the auto parts business, have tried to cross the numbers to a timken without success.  If they ever fail, I will go back to the OEM ball bearing set-up.  I think the roller bearings are superior but the hassle of finding replacements vs the fact that Cadillac used ball bearings for about twenty years. . .
baxter culver clc#17184