News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1960 Front Brake Drums.

Started by Dave Funnell, November 03, 2007, 07:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Funnell

Hi,
I need to replace one of my front brake drums on my `60 CPE and just wanted to check which other years will fit.I`m sure `59 is the same.Any other years suitable?Thanks in advance for any info.

Dave.
Adelaide,Australia.
`60 CPE.
CLC#14565

35-709

To the best of my knowledge '59 is NOT the same and will NOT fit.  1960 was the first year for roller bearings, 1960 was a year unto itself for front brake drums.   1961 will not fit either.  I was unable to find new or N.O.S. front drums for my '60.  The aftermarket no longer supports them either since they were a one year only item and not much call for them, I finally found a good used pair through this site.
:(
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Warren Rauch

I don't believe it is quite as bleak as Geoff claims. Cadillac only sold the front drums with the hub,so when the bearings were changed the part number was also changed.  Hollander says as long as you use the hub and bearings from 1957-59 exc. CC models these drums will work. In a catalog on brake drums for Grey Rock (corp) they list part# 2102 which fits Cadillac 57-60 front. This is the drum only. Cadillac did use the same brake shoes on most models from 1953 to 1969. And in a 1976 Delco catalog part#177-109 is said to fit Cadillac 60-68 front and 60-65 & 67-69  rear. If it weren't a Delco (GM) book I would think it just a typo, but if it is right it may well still be avalible.Warren

35-709

Wish I knew all that when I was looking.  I DID find one new 2102 in my search, the guy wanted $350 for it.  After I picked my jaw up off the ground and got my breathing under control I said that was way too much even for two of them.  His reply to me was that there were no more of them to be had, take it or leave it.  I left it.  Kanter lists (did list) 1960 drums as a separate item, when I ordered them they sent me a note that said they were no longer available.  I can't tell you how much time I spent trying to find the correct drums to no avail.  I do not know what year drums were on the car when I bought it except that they were not correct, the casting number on the correct used drums I finally found was the same as the drums that were on the car, but putting them down face up on the floor (without the hubs) they were at least 1/4" different in height. 

However, I certainly am not going to argue with the GM parts book, just relating my experience, so best of luck!   
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Dave,

When I was looking for a replacement Drum for the front of my '60 CDV, I purchased a '59 unit from Joe at Golden Gasolines, and simply swapped over the hubs.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TJ Hopland

How are the hubs held in?  Can it be done by the slightly above average DIYer or does it require a press and serious heat?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

John Morris #23947

By the way, I parted out four 60 Caddys last year and have all 8 front drums, very meaty, with good bearings.
71 Olds 98 LS, 66 Fairlane 500 XL Convertible, 55 Packard Clipper Super, 58 Edsel Ranger, 72 Cheyenne Super, many 49-60 parts cars, abandoned "House Of Doom" full of 49-60 parts. Huge piles of engine parts, brackets, tin, Hydramatic & Jetaway parts,  thousands of stainless moldings, dozens of perfect sedan doors.

Dave Funnell CLC#14565

Thanks everyone for their help and suggestions. Like Geoff I contacted Kanter and was told they were "unavailable".Hmmmmmmmmm,makes you wonder how much other stuff in their catalogue is "unavailable" :o :o

Anyway luckily I`ve been able to find one in the US and I should have it in a couple of weeks.

I`m glad I checked with you guys first as I really thought they were the same as a `59 and was prepared to bid for one on Australian E bay.Thanks again.

Dave.
Adelaide,Australia.
`60 CPE.