News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

PLEACE HELP

Started by caddyeldo60, November 03, 2007, 05:32:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

caddyeldo60

HI I try every way to get info about this person or info about the photos i bought 3 cars from him and sent him a huge amount of payment .And now the person not respond to any emails or phonecalls.I think it´s in everybodeys interest to get persons like this of the  market so the hobby can live and wee who still loves the cars can go on with the hobby.If somebodey nows something about the photos or name pleace respond.The black -59convertible  was in Hemmings motor in 30august-07where the man now is suspended to previus complaint.The ad was placed in the name of Robert Yousif Calgary Canada.If somebodey nows something or if somebodey has the same bad experianse about the name pleace Contact mee. it helps everybody tho save the hobby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
REG

Goodluckjim

Dale! is that you.....again????

John Morris #23947

This is not funny. This sounds like a European fellow who gut scammed out of thousands. About 1/3 of my Caddy parts go to Europe. Anyone knowing this Calgary man should help out.
71 Olds 98 LS, 66 Fairlane 500 XL Convertible, 55 Packard Clipper Super, 58 Edsel Ranger, 72 Cheyenne Super, many 49-60 parts cars, abandoned "House Of Doom" full of 49-60 parts. Huge piles of engine parts, brackets, tin, Hydramatic & Jetaway parts,  thousands of stainless moldings, dozens of perfect sedan doors.

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Caddyeldo60,

It’s a shame there are such lowlife people out there.
The first thing I would do is try to stop my payment to this person. If it has already gone through, have your bank or paying agent provide you with full documentation on where and how this person cashed your payment.
Second, I would notify your local police that you believe you’ve been the victim of a major fraud.
Third, I would notify the Calgary police of the suspected fraud.
Forth, I would get a lawyer to find out what recourse you have.

HTH,
Ralph
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

caddyeldo60

Quote from: John Morris #23947 on November 05, 2007, 09:41:01 AM
This is not funny. This sounds like a European fellow who gut scammed out of thousands. About 1/3 of my Caddy parts go to Europe. Anyone knowing this Calgary man should help out.
[/quot]    HI JOHN MORRIS  i have also bought some great parts from you thanks for support JONAS SWEDEN
REG

caddyeldo60

Quote from: Ralph Messina CLC 4937 on November 05, 2007, 01:16:59 PM
Caddyeldo60,

It’s a shame there are such lowlife people out there.
The first thing I would do is try to stop my payment to this person. If it has already gone through, have your bank or paying agent provide you with full documentation on where and how this person cashed your payment.
Second, I would notify your local police that you believe you’ve been the victim of a major fraud.
Third, I would notify the Calgary police of the suspected fraud.
Forth, I would get a lawyer to find out what recourse you have.

HTH,
Ralph

THANKS RALPH FOR YOUR SUPPORT   JONAS...........
REG

Nicholas Scott

Hi Folks,

Sorry to hear about the trouble one of the members is having purchasing the cars. I have had a good look at the cars in question and from what I can see; the background behind the black car does not look like Calgary’s topography.

That being said I tried to look up the address you sent me and there is no such address as Prestwick Gardens. All Calgary addresses are ended with the city quadrant such as N.E. for north east. If the member has a different address, I would be happy to drive by that address and try to do further investigation.

In addition I did a reverse look up on the phone number you supplied. The number is a valid cell phone number issued by Bell Mobility. Has the member actually spoken to someone on this number? I also looked up the seller in the phone book and there is no listing for that name.

The next question would be to which bank was the money wired? Assuming it is a Canadian bank there should be some recourse.

In light of all these facts, I hate to say but I think this seller is a fraudster.

I will be happy to assist in any way possible in tracking down this con-artist and I am quite willing to go down to police headquarters and see if there is any action that they can take to identify this perpetrator. I can be contacted on 403-233-2555 (h) MST.

Regards,

Nicholas Scott 
Calgary, AB

Joel Den Haan #21586

Since I live in the Calgary area as well, I can vouch for Nicholas Scott's claim that the background in the photo of the pink Coupe Deville doesn't seem like Calgary, especially the area of Calgary that might have the name Prestwick Gardens (Mackenzie Towne).  Calgary doesn't have the kind of hills in the background seen in the photo, and seems to me the trees are wrong....

So, better be in touch with the bank...

Joel Den Haan.

Quote from: Nicholas Scott on November 05, 2007, 02:55:08 PM
Hi Folks,

Sorry to hear about the trouble one of the members is having purchasing the cars. I have had a good look at the cars in question and from what I can see; the background behind the black car does not look like Calgary’s topography.

That being said I tried to look up the address you sent me and there is no such address as Prestwick Gardens. All Calgary addresses are ended with the city quadrant such as N.E. for north east. If the member has a different address, I would be happy to drive by that address and try to do further investigation.

In addition I did a reverse look up on the phone number you supplied. The number is a valid cell phone number issued by Bell Mobility. Has the member actually spoken to someone on this number? I also looked up the seller in the phone book and there is no listing for that name.

The next question would be to which bank was the money wired? Assuming it is a Canadian bank there should be some recourse.

In light of all these facts, I hate to say but I think this seller is a fraudster.

I will be happy to assist in any way possible in tracking down this con-artist and I am quite willing to go down to police headquarters and see if there is any action that they can take to identify this perpetrator. I can be contacted on 403-233-2555 (h) MST.

Regards,

Nicholas Scott 
Calgary, AB

caddyeldo60

Here comes some more photos this is the third cad i bought from him Many Many thanks to all great cadillac members and to all outhers try to help

REG JONAS
REG

Joel Den Haan

Quote from: caddyeldo60 on November 05, 2007, 05:30:32 PM
Here comes some more photos this is the third cad i bought from him Many Many thanks to all great cadillac members and to all outhers try to help

REG JONAS

Hi Reg-
Well once again the location of those photos doesn't look like Calgary.  Also there is different lighting, etc. between the two sets of photos, so I'm thinking they are stock photos from different sources.  I'd strongly recommend that if you forwarded funds through the Royal Bank, you should be in touch with them through their website www.royalbank.com or customer service  1-800-769-2511.  I think this is definitely a suspicious transaction that RBC Financial (the name used for most Royal Bank services) could help you with.

I'll keep watching the message forum to see what happens.

Best,
Joel Den Haan CLC #21586

wm Link

You might try and post any other images that show added 'backround', I would toss out a guess of Calif coast EXCEPT Calif requires a front plate that neither these cars have??? All the best to you in your difficult search! Wm

Johnny F #662

How did you first find this person?

veesixteen

Quote from: wm Link on November 05, 2007, 10:30:40 PM
You might try and post any other images that show added 'backround', I would toss out a guess of Calif coast EXCEPT Calif requires a front plate that neither these cars have??? All the best to you in your difficult search! Wm

One of the cars appears to have a front (vanity?) plate.  I can read "1959", but I can't make out the state logo (US or Canada).  One of my French acquaintances (he lives/lived in California)has (or had) a '59 CdV exactly like the one in the pic. 

IMHO this is one of those scams where somebody borrows the pics of a car that doesn't belong to him and tries to sell it as his own, usually at half it's actual value or less.  I've seen it happen a half dozen times on Ebay. Usually the price is "attractive'' to say the least, and the "owner" usually spins a sad tale about having to get rid of it ASAP.  Usually also, immediate payment is required by Western Union money order or similar.

What kind of money are we looking at here?  Both these cars, in excellent condition, command pretty high prices these days.
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

Bob Nance

a few ideas

call the bank in canada and see if they have a camera that got a look at this jerk, someone must know these cars, you should be able to trace where he is at by email (computer guy), the area in back of one of the cars could be Socal

he has probably done this before and the name is fake, the bank who gave him the money may have some responsibility, the advertiser may have some responsiblity

Homeland security may get involved because this may be a terroist front..

these low lifes need to spend time in a jail cell 

bill refakis

this is why I work on rosters of 59 eldorados,and I have been aware of 2 scams out of canada in the last few months from calgary involving lottery winnings with fake bank checks,and mortgages that do not exist.I buy sight unseen cars all the time,bought 2 59's out of hemmings last week,Standard procedure,fax over title,and supply banking information,home address and phone number.If there is any hold up at all,no deal,same for ebay,frauds will not have title and bank set up tight,and titles can be verified,when the cars are cheap,it is always a problem,you can bet the farm on that,black mint 59 converts for 30-40k,sure!

Wm Link

I would at least contact the FBI and report the crime.

John CLC#22641

Maybe I'm just a paranoid retired flatfoot but this thread of emails provides a tutorial for a world class fraud to beat the system. Last year, while I was surfing eBay for dream cars, I came across a 1940 Packard coup that looked to be in perfect showroom condition. I put a bid on it never expecting to come even close to the winning price. A few days later, it was suddenly taken off eBay with no explanation given. A few days later, I received an email from a guy named Dale something or other. He included photos of the car in the eBay ad and gave me some story about having to take it off auction for some technical reason. He was just sent to Hungary and needed to get rid of the car and would sell it to me for $40k or about half its value. Needing a few laughs, I replied to this guy and so as not to arouse his counter-suspicions of me, I played the "patsy" role and explained that I was worried about getting ripped off. He sent me a cell phone number for him in Hungary and eventually a street address there where I could contact him. The car? Oh, I forgot to say that it was crated up in a warehouse in Idaho and, needless to say, unavailable for inspection. For a hefty deposit to show I was earnest about buying the car, I would be given directions to the storage center in Idaho where I could at least look at the crate and maybe poke around the edges a bit to see if I could smell the Packard. I played with this jerk for a few more days and then he realized there was no quid for the quo here and he disappeared. I'm telling you all this story because crooks have learning curves and they enjoy seeing the sorts of things discussed in this thread of emails because they can avoid doing what our hypothetical loser has done. Let's see, there's making sure that the backgrounds fit wherever the scam is supposed to take place, avoid vanity plates on sucker cars whose published photos are used to bait the hook, don't use a commercial bank unless you can draw out the funds ASAP and have phony ID to do so, forget having a regular cell phone and buy the $19.99 pre-paid special that you can toss at the end of the deal or after the first payment, whichever occurs first. Is Caddyeldo60 a fraud? I don't know. I didn't see a club member number but in any case one can enter this forum as a guest without registering. There are a million scams a minute going on and most of them involve the Internet in one way or the other. The old dethroned Nigerian oil magnate scam of yesteryear has graduated to serious scamming using look-alike eBay and PayPal WebPages, complete with hypertexed email inserts that contain hidden Trojans (not the fun type) and worms that suck up your passwords, credit card numbers, and e-checking digits and send them off to hackers in faraway places with strange sounding names. Within hours you could be wiped out and not even know it until the kid at Starbuck's tells you your credit card has been rejected for a double latte and scone. Gosh, one would think they would at least leave enough in the credit line for a cup of joe! Beware!!!!

caddyeldo60

Quote from: John CLC#22641 on November 07, 2007, 01:17:04 PMMaybe I'm just a paranoid retired flatfoot but this thread of emails provides a tutorial for a world class fraud to beat the system. Last year, while I was surfing eBay for dream cars, I came across a 1940 Packard coup that looked to be in perfect showroom condition. I put a bid on it never expecting to come even close to the winning price. A few days later, it was suddenly taken off eBay with no explanation given. A few days later, I received an email from a guy named Dale something or other. He included photos of the car in the eBay ad and gave me some story about having to take it off auction for some technical reason. He was just sent to Hungary and needed to get rid of the car and would sell it to me for $40k or about half its value. Needing a few laughs, I replied to this guy and so as not to arouse his counter-suspicions of me, I played the "patsy" role and explained that I was worried about getting ripped off. He sent me a cell phone number for him in Hungary and eventually a street address there where I could contact him. The car? Oh, I forgot to say that it was crated up in a warehouse in Idaho and, needless to say, unavailable for inspection. For a hefty deposit to show I was earnest about buying the car, I would be given directions to the storage center in Idaho where I could at least look at the crate and maybe poke around the edges a bit to see if I could smell the Packard. I played with this jerk for a few more days and then he realized there was no quid for the quo here and he disappeared. I'm telling you all this story because crooks have learning curves and they enjoy seeing the sorts of things discussed in this thread of emails because they can avoid doing what our hypothetical loser has done. Let's see, there's making sure that the backgrounds fit wherever the scam is supposed to take place, avoid vanity plates on sucker cars whose published photos are used to bait the hook, don't use a commercial bank unless you can draw out the funds ASAP and have phony ID to do so, forget having a regular cell phone and buy the $19.99 pre-paid special that you can toss at the end of the deal or after the first payment, whichever occurs first. Is Caddyeldo60 a fraud? I don't know. I didn't see a club member number but in any case one can enter this forum as a guest without registering. There are a million scams a minute going on and most of them involve the Internet in one way or the other. The old dethroned Nigerian oil magnate scam of yesteryear has graduated to serious scamming using look-alike eBay and PayPal WebPages, complete with hypertexed email inserts that contain hidden Trojans (not the fun type) and worms that suck up your passwords, credit card numbers, and e-checking digits and send them off to hackers in faraway places with strange sounding names. Within hours you could be wiped out and not even know it until the kid at Starbuck's tells you your credit card has been rejected for a double latte and scone. Gosh, one would think they would at least leave enough in the credit line for a cup of joe! Beware!!!!
HI  John Thats right i´m not registerd member just a man burning for cadillacs i restore them every day caddys is my life. and trying every way to find some info about those photos then i think this could be a good place to show them and it i has been enorm response and members has been wery helpful THANKS EVERYBODEY The price on the cars where good but not so good that i was thinking this should happen i paid  $ 80 000 for the cars. My name is Jonas and i live in sweden.
REG

veesixteen

HI  John Thats right i´m not registerd member just a man burning for cadillacs i restore them every day caddys is my life. and trying every way to find some info about those photos then i think this could be a good place to show them and it i has been enorm response and members has been wery helpful THANKS EVERYBODEY The price on the cars where good but not so good that i was thinking this should happen i paid  $ 80 000 for the cars. My name is Jonas and i live in sweden.

Hi Jonas, did you find out anything more about this vendor? Did you pay for the cars by Western Union or by bank draft?  Good luck!
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"