News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Easier To Pull Engine, Or Trans While Replacing Flex Plate On 70 Eldo??

Started by John Morris #23947, November 14, 2007, 10:13:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Morris #23947

The parts are here and it's time to replace the flex plate on my 70 front wheel drive Eldo. I have heard from different folks that it is easier to pull the entire engine, or easier to pull the trans and support the engine on a cradle. The trans was just "recased" and I'm assuming seals ect should be new. I don't have the correct shop manual to look at. Has anyone been through this before? A benefit of pulling engine would be to detail the engine and compartment, but there's sooo much to unhook.
71 Olds 98 LS, 66 Fairlane 500 XL Convertible, 55 Packard Clipper Super, 58 Edsel Ranger, 72 Cheyenne Super, many 49-60 parts cars, abandoned "House Of Doom" full of 49-60 parts. Huge piles of engine parts, brackets, tin, Hydramatic & Jetaway parts,  thousands of stainless moldings, dozens of perfect sedan doors.

greg surfas 15634

John,
Pulling the transmission, although dificult is by far the best way to go.  With the transmission and all the drive components out of the way you can check/change the flex plate and check for other damage or mis alignment.  You also will have free access to the input drive (converter, primary chain, etc.) system of the transmission and can check the transmission and its case for damage.
Good luck. It's one heack of a task.
Greg Surfas

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day John,

I think that it would be easier to pull the engine, leaving the Transmission in place, as there would be less to "undo" to get it out.

Dropping the Trans would require a lot of "underneath the vehicle" work, and getting the vehicle up sufficiently high enough to access the area with a Transmission Jack.

Lifting the engine is a matter of draining the Radiator Coolant, undoing Exhaust Pipes, Starter Motor, AC fittings, wiring plugs, and Trans case and Torque Converter, and Power Steering, plus various linkages, then simply lift it out with a chain hoist.

Then, as you say, the engine bay will be easier to detail with the big lump of metal out of the way.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   NEVER assume anything.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

greg surfas 15634

Lars Kneller 8246

Having done both in the past, my vote is to pull the engine.

TJ Hopland

If there is any chance the engine needs any seal, gasket, or maybe the nylon timing cam gear replaced pull the motor and get it all done at the same time.  If you are doing it without a lift I think I would take the engine also.  Without a lift you have to get the car fairly high off the ground to get the trans out.  If you take it with the motor the car only has to go high enough to get under and unhook things.  Dont forget to look at ceiling height/ clearance before you get started.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason