News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Electric Fuel Pump

Started by Dan Reed, November 14, 2007, 12:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan Reed

I have a 1956 Cadillac sedan which is in good mechanical and cosmetic condition. I drive the car often and would like to install an electric fuel pump in conjunction with the mechanical pump on the car currently. I'm sure there are members who have installed an electric pump and I could use some information on how this should be done.

As I mentioned, I drive the car often and on long trips - So there's some piece of mind factor. The other reason is for quicker cold-starting after the car has been sitting for a couple of weeks.  I've had the car for ten years without a starter replacement, so my days are numbered. I think the starter would be happier if it didn't have to work so hard when the car hasn't been started in a few weeks.

Dan 

TJ Hopland

I cant give you specifics on your car but the most important thing is to make sure and install some method of shutting off the pump if the engine stalls.  I have seen a few nice cars (and houses) go up in flames that didnt have any shut off system.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

harry s

Hi Dan, There is an article by Walt Brewer in the latest SS (I  think) that would apply to you car. In addition to a cut off switch I would install an inline fuel filter between the tank and fuel pump. There are some nice transparent ones at different parts stores. Harry Scott
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

John Polychron

Hi,
I installed an electric fuel pump in my '46 Conv to provide
a startup assist. A toggle switch was hidden under the dash.
Before cranking I let the electric pump do its thing for
about 3 seconds and then shut it off. Less strain on the
starter and a fall back in case of vapor lock.

John 22021
'41 Cadillac Conv Cpe
'46 Cadillac Conv Cpe

Frank kilpatrick

I installed electric pump and removed the manual and it is fine with just the electric.  If anyone has negative info, I would love to hear it.

TJ Hopland

Only negative thing I know of (easily dealt with) is that a guy down the street from me HAD a very nice house and a 30's Lincoln (I think) in show condition.  He had an electric pump wired on with the key.   He left the house but came back for some reason.  He parked with the car just barely in the front of the garage left the engine running and ran in for whatever it was.  He got distracted (phone call or whatever) so it took longer than the minute he was planning.  Engine stalled most likely due to an issue with needle and seat or float (who knows happens all the time but usually doenst cause a serious problem then you hit a bump and its all good).  Electric fuel pump kept running filling the manifold with gas and then overflowing.  Gas hits something hot, exhaust? Hot ignition coil or wire if the points happened to land shut??  Next thing you know car and garage are gone along with a good chunk of the house.   They ended up tearing it down it was so bad.  Im sure he had insurance but you can never have the same house or car.  For all I knew it could have been a super rare car also.  The rear bumper was about all that looked like anything after the fire.

The setups I like are the ones that come on during cranking and then are held on by oil pressure.  If you have to you can install a pushbutton for priming or clearing vapor lock but at least it cant be left on and the car should still start fine without using it so if you were not driving for some reason it wouldnt be a big deal.    I think some of the people that make electric fuel pumps also sell a control kit that has some sort of safety setup in it.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

35-709

Same sort of thing could happen in an accident if the fuel pump was turned on.  There should definitely be something other than just an on/off switch on/under the dash, an oil pressure switch to activate the pump plus a momentary push button for starting or breaking vapor lock is an excellent solution.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Jeff Kay CLC#7630

I've installed electric fuel pumps on many 1940's Cadillac's and LaSalles and have never had a problem.  One thing I do is to place a toggle switch to active the pump near the handbrake, near the driver's side kick panel.  I orientate the switch so that it moves right and left.  I always make the "ON" for the pump when the switch is on the right side (I can always remember the 1960's slogan "Right-ON" to refresh my memory which side of the switch turns the pump on).  I use the electric pump to prime the car before I start it when cold.  Once I'm ready to start driving, I release the handbrake, which reminds me to turn off the electric pump.  I use the manual pump when driving, unless vapor lock occurrs, then I can easily turn on the electric pump.  Hope this helps.

Jeff