News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1947 Cadillac Radio & Antennae Info.

Started by Anthony Amman #15293, November 28, 2007, 03:33:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony Amman #15293

I recently missed purchasing an original copy of the material covering the installation and functioning of a 1946 Cadillac radio on Ebay.  The radio was still in the car when I bought it, the antennae was not.  Would anyone have a copy of this pamphlet or be willing to sell a copy of it?  I need to see a diagram of how to connect all of the hoses and the routing of the antennae cable and hoses through the firewall.  Any exploded diagrams of the antennae would be of help also.  Also, does anyone have a source for a new antennae mast?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Anthony

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Contact the radio guru. Doug Houston, Ortonville, MI, in your Directory for any questions about radios.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Bill Ingler #7799

Doug is the expert of the radios but maybe I can help you on the routing of the vacuum lines. I will attempt to attach a picture showing the location of the two vacuum lines and the antenna line through the fire wall. Looking at the left fire wall just to the left of the left air duct and just slightly right of the main wire loom going vertically up the fire wall and you will see a round hole in the fire wall that takes a Steele # 70-0186 1 1/2 inch rubber grommet. The two smaller holes in the grommet are for the vacuum lines coming from the radio antenna mast, the larger top hole in this grommet is for the radio antenna line. Now my 47 is a convert and the bottom vacuum line on the antenna vacuum cylinder comes straight up and then goes across the top of the hydraulic pump towards the fire wall together with the antenna wire and the vacuum line from the top of the antenna cylinder. Then all three go under the left air vent and then into the Steele grommet and through the fire wall. Use short pieces of about 3/16 steel line to go through that grommet,your rubber vacuum line then on either end of the steel line. Once inside the car, the two vacuum lines and antenna go up the inside of the firewall to about 6 inches from the top then all three go across the under side of the dash, the antenna will plug into the top left corner of the back of the radio. The two vacuum lines continue across the top of the radio. On the right side of the radio case you will find 3 nipples to accept 3 vacuum lines. The two vacuum lines from the antenna mast plug into the outer nipples, the middle nipple is for the vacuum line from the engine which comes through the fire wall about the middle of the fire wall and just behind the radio. This vacuum line also supplies vacuum to the wipers. About 11 inches after this main engine vacuum line comes through the fire wall, put a metal T in the vacuum line, one end of the T will go to the middle nipple on the radio and the other end of the T will connect to the middle nipple of your wiper switch. If the picture doesn`t show please email me and I will send you more pictures since my radio is out I can get some better pictures. Make sure you cut the two vacuum lines with enough left of the ends which go on the radio. It becomes a little troublesome getting the radio in the proper position and still find all the vacuum lines without a few loud shhhh--ts. Time out at that time for a beer.

Anthony Amman #15293

Thanks, Barry and Bill for the information.  It was a big help.  I will contact Doug for more info. on the radio and the picture and description are just what I need. Thanks again, guys.

Anthony