News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

66 deville chasse primer

Started by Armond, November 30, 2007, 10:27:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armond

On my 66 deville conv. I have steam cleaned the chasse to the bare metal. Is it a good idea to use primer before undercoating? Or just under coat without the primer.

homeonprunehill

Quote from: Armond on November 30, 2007, 10:27:27 PM
On my 66 deville conv. I have steam cleaned the chasse to the bare metal. Is it a good idea to use primer before undercoating? Or just under coat without the primer.

11-30-07
It is best (IMHO) to prime the frame and also paint the frame with EMRON paint, but be careful applying the paint. If you or the person applying the emron don't have proper ventrelation(SIC) you could DIE from breathing the funes.
Good Luck,JIM    P.S. To answer your question. Yes, it is better to spray with primer prior to applying undercoating. Use black primer if going this route.
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

Dennis DiNorcia #19071

Again, I bring up the question of whether to undercoat or not. I have been told not to undercoat as it traps moisture and will cause rusting just as if it were not done. Then I was told to undercoat but make sure the ares are fully covered so as to avoid any water to seep in between the undercoating and the metal. What is the consensus on this?

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Dennis DiNorcia #19071 on December 03, 2007, 11:03:12 AM
Again, I bring up the question of whether to undercoat or not. I have been told not to undercoat as it traps moisture and will cause rusting just as if it were not done. Then I was told to undercoat but make sure the ares are fully covered so as to avoid any water to seep in between the undercoating and the metal. What is the consensus on this?
G'day Dennis,

One of the problems with Undercoating a Chassis with Automotive Undercoat and then the colour coat is that Undercoat is water absorbant.   Which means that if you get stone chips, and any part not covered with the colour sealer, then the rust can start where the "hole" is, and this moisture "absorbtion" keeps on going and rust grows under the finishes surface.

Remember when stone chips appear on the body of a car, if not treated, rust starts?   Well, the same happens with a Chassis, and as it is never seen as much as the body of the car, it just festers away, till it gets bad.

When spraying a Chassis, one only concentrates on the outside, and overspray gets its' way inside the Chassis, via factory-formed holes and stampings etc, and the insides of the Chassis, where it should be fully protected, isn't.

Bruce. >:D

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Chris Short CLC 18814

I've heard the same story and have seen a car that rusted because of that undercoat.   I think most of the problem was with that particular car was that they undercoated over rust..  Then when the rust grew behind it it soaked up water like a sponge and the water couldn't get out..  The car really was rusting severly after that undercoat job..  They ended up going under there and trying to scrape the undercoat off..  What I would do in your position..  Now this is only a opinion ok..  But if you got that frame super clean and bare..  I mean even in the seams and all..  I'd use a really good self etching primer..  If I remember right the dupont number is 615 and the catalist is 620..  Good old fashion self etching primer..  Then go and paint it with Imron black.  It'll look like a million bucks after that I promise!!!!  And forget about the undercoating..  Just try to stay off the loose gravel so you don't chip that beautiful paint under there..  This might not be the cheapest way but its definatly the best way I think...

Chris Short