News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

'55 Coupe DeVille Trunk Restoration

Started by njones, December 05, 2007, 03:30:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njones

Hi everybody, I'm in the process of restoring the trunk of my '55 Coupe DeVille. The trim code for this car is 53, interior done in blue leather and blue cloth with the little "v"s. I contacted Jenkins re a trunk kit and they recommended the complete kit, color taupe.

My question is did Cadillac use the same neutral trunk color for all trim codes  or did they change according to color. Need to be sure before ordering.

Also am replacing the soundproofing ( waffle material ) on the inner part of the Deck Lid. This is kinda like how do they put the filling in the centre of a Mars bar?  The inside surfaces are painted body color, but the soundproofing is not painted. Did the factory attach the inner metal skin afer painting? I managed to remove all the old material but how do i install the new stuff?

Nigel, '66 DeVille
Nigel

P W Allen CLC# 20193

Nigel,

I beleive that the trunk interiors were not keyed to the car color scheme in those years. Jenkins should be able to get you supply you with what you need. Here's a few before and after photos of my 53 using the Jenkins kit.

Paul

Paul
53 Coupe
Twin Turbine

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

They used different color trunk "rugs" or liners -- what ever you prefer to call
them.  My '55 Eldo is Bahamma Blue with a blue trunk liner.  I've seen tans, greens,
reds, etc.  Jenkins should know the correct stuff -- my materials came from him.

As fas as the brownish looking insulation on the top trunk lid, that was put in place
before that inner brace was attached.  You have to carefully cut the old
stuff out and cement the new in without leaving any gaps -- hard to do but
it can be done.  I have seen a few people go to the extreme of actually cutting
the trunk apart to replace this -- but it's not worth it IMO.

Mike

1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

njones

Thx for thx info and pics,  Jenkins definitely sounds the way to go.

Nigel
Nigel