News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

GM cuts DTS production!

Started by Rich S, December 07, 2007, 08:31:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich S

Here is an article I came across explaining this:

AutoNews: GM Cuts Shift At Hamtramck
GM cuts shift at Detroit plant

Ryan Beene

Automotive News | October 16, 2007 - 4:48 pm EST
DETROIT -- General Motors will idle production at its Detroit Hamtramck assembly plant for two weeks beginning Dec. 14, then drop a shift and permanently lay off 767 hourly workers.

The plant, which assembles the Cadillac DTS and the Buick Lucerne, was operating on a two-shift schedule, producing 40 vehicles per hour on each shift. Dec. 14 will mark the beginning of a down week, with the following week used to reconfigure plant operations to produce 56 vehicles per hour for the remaining shift, said GM spokesman Tom Wickham.

GM decided to idle the Hamtramck plant because of decreased demand for the Buick Lucerne and Cadillac DTS.

“Sales of the DTS continue to be steady, but our capacity is going to be greater than forecasted demand,” Wickham said.

After the layoffs, the remaining 1,083 hourly employees will return to work on Jan. 2.

Source:http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...plate=printart

Subscription

This is risky business, because the DTS still is Cadillac's Number One selling model--and variants of the CTS have not yet made it to market. Could this signify a big change for Cadillac? Let's hope the product planners don't disappoint us with the replacement (yet unnamed) for the DTS! If you want one, order it soon--and remember the 'Platinum Edition' factory option package!
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe

Johnny F #662

Today GM along with Ford and Chrysler announced that they are shutting down their full size pick up truck operations also!

wm link

We could well be nearing the end of any "American" automobile manufacturing period.  As it is, many/most of the components are are shipped from overseas to be assembled here anyway. Got Rice!

Johnny F #662

Quote from: wm link on December 09, 2007, 02:31:13 PM
We could well be nearing the end of any "American" automobile manufacturing period.  As it is, many/most of the components are are shipped from overseas to be assembled here anyway. Got Rice!

It has been my feeling for quite some time,  that the entire automobile "scenario", as most of us knew it, is greatly changing and just a mere ghost of what it used to be.

-Cars don't hold the same desirability of young people today as they did for us "back when".   Sure teenagers still want cars, but mostly trucks today, but to them its "just a car".  They are more preoccupied with the sound system the car/truck has.

-The days of the "shade tree mechanic" has been gone for some quite time.  Other then change the oil, there's really not much the average person can do to maintain their car themselves.

-The excitement of fall when the new models traditionally came out, is gone.  Actually this is a plus for buyers, as most times the manufacturers don't put cars on the marketplace until they feel they are ready, rather then meeting a deadline.

-We have reached a point when people that have imported cars, don't say "I have an import".  A Toyota is given the same consideration as a Chevy or Ford.

-One area that I think is somewhat remaining stable, is the car "hobby".  I still see an interest in older cars by younger people.  Of course their interest is of cars that go back to the 60's, and not too much beyond that.  Of course a car from the 60's is still at least 40 years old...where did the time go?

Rich S

Johnny F, your thoughtful comments are on-point. There are so many factors at work eroding the American's love of their cars--from the increasing homogenousness of the brands/models and their performance capabilities, the increased costs of ownership, the greater technological complexity, the greater safety requirements and other such rather adverse influences. In fact, even though I have a 2008 car, it makes me appreciate my 1971 model all the more! New cars are now, for the most part, viewed as "disposable" by many consumers. Many of the characteristics long associated with the Cadillac brand are being replaced by other characteristics. It will be interesting to observe how consumers accept the "new direction." There are more challenges than ever for Cadillac's product planners.
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe

EdDougher

Quote from: Johnny F #662 on December 09, 2007, 04:37:34 PM
Quote from: wm link on December 09, 2007, 02:31:13 PM

It has been my feeling for quite some time,  that the entire automobile "scenario", as most of us knew it, is greatly changing and just a mere ghost of what it used to be.

-Cars don't hold the same desirability of young people today as they did for us "back when".   Sure teenagers still want cars, but mostly trucks today, but to them its "just a car".  They are more preoccupied with the sound system the car/truck has.

-The days of the "shade tree mechanic" has been gone for some quite time.  Other then change the oil, there's really not much the average person can do to maintain their car themselves.

-The excitement of fall when the new models traditionally came out, is gone.  Actually this is a plus for buyers, as most times the manufacturers don't put cars on the marketplace until they feel they are ready, rather then meeting a deadline.

-We have reached a point when people that have imported cars, don't say "I have an import".  A Toyota is given the same consideration as a Chevy or Ford.

-One area that I think is somewhat remaining stable, is the car "hobby".  I still see an interest in older cars by younger people.  Of course their interest is of cars that go back to the 60's, and not too much beyond that.  Of course a car from the 60's is still at least 40 years old...where did the time go?

It's also very possible to buy a Toyota, Nissan, Mazda or Honda that's assembled here, and a Chevy that's assembled in Mexico.

EdDougher

Quote from: Rich S on December 09, 2007, 08:52:29 PM
Johnny F, your thoughtful comments are on-point. There are so many factors at work eroding the American's love of their cars--from the increasing homogenousness of the brands/models and their performance capabilities, the increased costs of ownership, the greater technological complexity, the greater safety requirements and other such rather adverse influences. In fact, even though I have a 2008 car, it makes me appreciate my 1971 model all the more! New cars are now, for the most part, viewed as "disposable" by many consumers. Many of the characteristics long associated with the Cadillac brand are being replaced by other characteristics. It will be interesting to observe how consumers accept the "new direction." There are more challenges than ever for Cadillac's product planners.

What makes a Cadillac really stand out anymore when a Hyundai Elantra comes with power everything, a cushy ride, satellite radio, really comfortable seats, gobs and gobs of refinement, and outstanding quality backed by a 10 year, 100,000 mile warranty?

They should have built the Sixteen if they want to stand out as the Standard of the World. 

Johnny F #662

It's also very possible to buy a Toyota, Nissan, Mazda or Honda that's assembled here, and a Chevy that's assembled in Mexico.

True, but the profits of the Toyotal, Nissan, Mazda go overseas, while at least the profits of that Mexican built Chevy come back here.

Johnny F #662

What makes a Cadillac really stand out anymore when a Hyundai Elantra comes with power everything, a cushy ride, satellite radio, really comfortable seats, gobs and gobs of refinement, and outstanding quality backed by a 10 year, 100,000 mile warranty?

They should have built the Sixteen if they want to stand out as the Standard of the World. 

The way I see it, the factor that most makes a car stand out is it's name and reputation, something that Cadillac reigned supreme for many decades, until they started to rest on their past glories, sometime around the mid 80's, and its been an uphill battle ever since for them.//

EdDougher

Quote from: Johnny F #662 on December 10, 2007, 09:32:46 PM

The way I see it, the factor that most makes a car stand out is it's name and reputation, something that Cadillac reigned supreme for many decades, until they started to rest on their past glories, sometime around the mid 80's, and its been an uphill battle ever since for them.//

If the product isn't truly a standout, then the past reputation will only last for so long.  Especially if a 4100 fiasco comes along just then.

Let's face it, when it's time for me to replace the tires on my Mazda, the guy with the Ford or Dodge will likely be changing transmissions.

EdDougher

I wish Cadillac would take this to heart and get off the "me too" bandwagon:

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Track/2582/cadillac/penalty1.html 

Greg Powers

Unfortunately Cadillac is much like many others in today's marketplace.  The people in the " ivory towers" make all the decisions based upon their research and ideas. Few if any of them have spent any period of time in the real world and don't really care about individual's concerns.  Consumers are supposed to gladly embrace the companies new ideas and forget about what they really want or feel that they need.  Where are all the funeral cars and hearses to come from, a CTS??? What about your larger individuals who cannot easily enter or exit the smaller cars with their smaller doors??? What about the elderly who are not  agile enough to "fold up" to get into the smaller cars??? What about some people who don"t want to drive a car that looks like a "rice-burner-clone"??? I thank God that I was born in a day when we still anticipated the new car arrivals, when you could drive down the road and spot a Cadillac by its lines and styling, when you could order a car optioned the way you wanted it(not predetermined  option packages).  What we need  is a way to make the voice of the consumer heard . Any ideas????
G.L. Powers>1954 Series 62 Sedan/1958 Fleetwood 60 Special-sold/1963 Series 62 Convertible-sold/1970 Fleetwood Brougham-sold/1994 Fleetwood Brougham/1971 Sedan Deville-sold/2000 Deville-sold/2001 DTS-sold/1976 Eldorado Convertible-sold/1983 Coupe Deville-sold/1990 Allante-sold/1990 and 1991 Brougham deElegance-sold/1992 Brougham-sold/Always looking!

homeonprunehill

Quote from: Greg Powers on December 14, 2007, 10:35:15 AM
Unfortunately Cadillac is much like many others in today's marketplace.  The people in the " ivory towers" make all the decisions based upon their research and ideas. Few if any of them have spent any period of time in the real world and don't really care about individual's concerns.  Consumers are supposed to gladly embrace the companies new ideas and forget about what they really want or feel that they need.  Where are all the funeral cars and hearses to come from, a CTS??? What about your larger individuals who cannot easily enter or exit the smaller cars with their smaller doors??? What about the elderly who are not  agile enough to "fold up" to get into the smaller cars??? What about some people who don"t want to drive a car that looks like a "rice-burner-clone"??? I thank God that I was born in a day when we still anticipated the new car arrivals, when you could drive down the road and spot a Cadillac by its lines and styling, when you could order a car optioned the way you wanted it(not predetermined  option packages).  What we need  is a way to make the voice of the consumer heard . Any ideas????

12-13-07
GREG, Sorry to say,but people that don't want to drive a "Rice-Burner-clone will have to fall back on the old big car or PU until the auto makers see the light, hit them in the pocket- book,until they see the big-picture.
Good Luck,JIM
Merry Christmas to all and a happy new year!
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

Glen

The latest news has the lawmakers mandating 35 MPG cars fro the near future.  Because the technology to build engines that will do that with the current cars is not available I’m afraid the cars are going to be getting smaller and lighter.  The new legislation also includes SUVs and light trucks.  So they will also be downsized.  The only way to get a new decent sized vehicle will be to buy from Peterbuilt or Kenworth. 

Glen
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Jeff Maltby 4194

Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

JTraik

Quote from: Jeff Maltby 4194 on December 26, 2007, 04:07:26 PM
http://www.commondreams.org/views06/0227-20.htm

Wheres the other half of the article?  I see a whole lot of sensible finger pointing but not even the hint of a plan or suggestion.  Ill bet you if the shit hits the fan over here in the USA that writer would haul ass to Europe or wherever he thinks problems don't exist.  Thats the whole other side the US crumbling, is that no one cares, everyone just whines and complains.   This country just needs a break from the world... we should be cutting down on trade until it as almost pointless while at the same time building domestic industry back up... we have the resources.  While the parties are busy cutting each other's throats, big, outsourcing businesses is getting away with the real murder... we should not have to rely on anyone but ourselves, this country needs to be self-sustaining.
Jeff

LBF

The solution to this problem is for Americans to start buying American made products again - exclusively.  How many toys made in China have been recalled for lead paint?  I won't buy a Toyota or a Honda if I can possibly avoid it.  I did buy a used Honda motorcycle and a new Yamaha sportbike in the past six years - but there are no American made alternatives to motorcycles.  Cars, now - that's another story...
Matthew Taylor

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: LBF on December 28, 2007, 03:52:26 AM
The solution to this problem is for Americans to start buying American made products again - exclusively.  How many toys made in China have been recalled for lead paint?  I won't buy a Toyota or a Honda if I can possibly avoid it.  I did buy a used Honda motorcycle and a new Yamaha sportbike in the past six years - but there are no American made alternatives to motorcycles.  Cars, now - that's another story...   
Exactly!

I have been saying that for years.

Bruce.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

JTraik

Quote from: Johnny F #662 on December 28, 2007, 09:29:26 AM
Uh, is that company called Harley Davidson still in business and don't that make some motorcyles?

Perhaps he meant sport/off-road bikes.
Jeff

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: JTraik on December 28, 2007, 02:32:49 PM
Perhaps he meant sport/off-road bikes.   
Or ones that a simple person without huge muscles can actually pick up if it accidentally falls over.

Ever tried to right a Harley?  They are HEAVY!

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon