News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Theft Deterrent System Question

Started by Dennis DiNorcia #19071, December 10, 2007, 09:59:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis DiNorcia #19071

I need help with my 1995 DeVille with the Cadillac Theft Deterrent System. The car also has an after market alarm with a remote start. I had the car in for service and when I picked it up, the doors were unlocked and the keys were in the ignition. I got in and tried to start the car but it would crank and not start. Thinking it was cold I tried a few times but nothing. Then without opening the door, I locked then unlocked the doors with the remote, then the car started. I thought I may have violated the security system. The next day, I tried to start the car remotely and when I came out the car was not running. I unlocked the doors, tried to start the car and nothing. I tried a few times, then after pumping the pedal once, the car just gradually wanted to start so I stepped on the gas pedal and the car started fine but I did smell fuel. . After it warmed up, I shut it off and the car started fine. It happened twice after that, once after the car was already warmed up while I was shopping. I even waited over three minutes to see if it would start but nothing. Again I pumped the pedal once and when it tried to start, I fed gas and it started right up. When I got home and shut it off it started right up again. I would like to know if this is a security issue and/or fuel pump issue. Is there a way to disconnect the Cadillac security system to isolate the problem? The after market alarm is in the valet mode so I do not know if that is causing it also. Can someone out there help? Thank You.

TJ Hopland

With aftermarket alarms and starters the first problem is usually low quality hardware and then poor workmanship on the install. 

When it doesnt start is the security light flashing on the dash?  I think that car would have the pass key thing where there is a little chip in the shank of the key.  It is common for the wires going to the key to break from the movement.  The remote start would also have a module that simulates that chip when the car is remote started. 

Other common issue with remote starts is the hood switch not working properly.  Most aftermarket ones is just a pushbutton (like in the door) near the front that has to be pushed in for the remote start to work. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Tom Hitchcock

From what you say, it seems likely you do not know much about your after-market system.  I would think the first thing you need to do is to research the manufacturer and see about some sort of owner's, or installation, manual/directions. These after-market systems do well on older cars, and some post 90s makes, but until you know what you are working with, it is not inconceivable you could really muck-up things up that could end up costing big bucks to remedy.

Worst case: the maker is no longer in business and you have no operators' instructions. If this is the case, or if you simply do not know the maker, have operator's instructions, or know who installed the system, my advice for a first step is to seek out a really good automotive eletrical shop give them whatever info you have on this after-market system. Who knows, maybe they might just be familiar with your aftermarket system...

Tom Hitchcock - 2212
Tom Hitchcock - 2212
1960 Coupe de Ville
1997 Eldorado Touring Coupe

Dennis DiNorcia #19071

I should have mentioned that is is a Viper alarm and it was installed before the previous owner who was my uncle. He never used the alarm or the remote start. I will call him tonight to see if he ever encountered this problem. In any event, since I got the car for nothing and it is a 1995, I am not interested in any security system for the car. That is why I would like it disarmed. I will miss having the remote start but I will live without it as long as I can depend on the car starting all the time.

Dennis DiNorcia #19071

Forgot to mention, the Security light comes on but is not flashing. I don't know if this is normal as a system check to say the system is working or it it saying the car security system is being violated. It is the Pass-Key system and the keys seem to be in good shape, but who knows with electrical devices. Thank You.

TJ Hopland

I dont remember if the light is supposed to flash or just be on.  Sounds like a problem I had with a 96 but its been so long that I dont remember the details and ended up selling the car without fixing it.  I also sold the service manuals with the car so I cant help there.  Maybe a trip to your local public library since many of them have free access to ALLDATA which is the service database many auto repair shops use.  It will have very detailed info on the factory system.  I remember on mine thinking that it was those wires that go to the ignition switch.

Dennis DiNorcia #19071

I spoke with the previous owner and found out that the Theft Deterrent System was bypassed because it was shorting out the battery. I am assuming the light comes one when you start it just as a check. (Like the ALT, OIL, etc. lights do) What he did tell me is that sometimes the car will crank and not start but if you give it a little gas it will start up fine. Can this be related to the fuel pump, fuel filter, injectors or ????. Anyone out there have an idea? Thanks.

TJ Hopland

My 95 Deville had a bad fuel pressure regulator (thats how I got it cheap because they spent almost $1000 on other tune up parts that didnt fix the problem).   IIRC the regulator is kind of between the distributor cap and the air horn.  Its between the two ends of the fuel rail and has a small bent piece of vacuum hose going to the intake or throttle body.  If you pull off the hose and there is any signs or smells of gas its shot.   Starts are hit and miss depending on temp.  Often times I had to go hold it to the floor to get it started (because that turns off the fuel).   The parts is fairly cheap but there is alot of crap that has to be removed to lift the fuel rail to replace it, power steering and alternator come to mind.