News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

My new Eldorado!!!!

Started by Rick Biarritz, May 05, 2009, 07:54:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Biarritz

Okay, next question, and thanks for all the help thus far.  Replacing my floor mats...  How do I know if my color is red, maroon, etc?  Is that info in the vin?  Thanks.

Guidematic

You will find the trim code on the SPI label that is attached to the underside of the trunk lid. It will be in the last series of alpha-numeric codes.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

Rick Biarritz

Quote from: Mike Jones on May 14, 2009, 10:09:18 AM
You will find the trim code on the SPI label that is attached to the underside of the trunk lid. It will be in the last series of alpha-numeric codes.

Mike

Mike, I opened the trunk and all I see is the big ol' label with jacking instructions.  Am I missing it or is it gone?  Thanks.

Guidematic

That is the typical location for this label. However, some may be found in other places. On the Eldorado, that is the only place I remember seeing it.

But, the early 80's was a time when not all cars got this label, so it is possible that yours did not come with it. By 1985, pretty muche every GM model had an SPI labe, but it was found in varying spots, model for model.

But, they still did use the build sheet. I have usually found this sheet under the seats between the springs and foam. It also carries the information you need.

Mike

Rick Biarritz

Quote from: Mike Jones on May 22, 2009, 12:11:58 PM
That is the typical location for this label. However, some may be found in other places. On the Eldorado, that is the only place I remember seeing it.

But, the early 80's was a time when not all cars got this label, so it is possible that yours did not come with it. By 1985, pretty muche every GM model had an SPI labe, but it was found in varying spots, model for model.

But, they still did use the build sheet. I have usually found this sheet under the seats between the springs and foam. It also carries the information you need.

Mike

This is funny.  I found the tag literally 3 minutes ago.  I'm gonna hit it with a flashlight, and read the numbers to my wife.  If I post the numbers here, can anybody decode them?  I'm looking for the color of my carpet so I can order a new set.  Thanks. 

PS - I consulted my shop manual, and found the tag on the firewall as directed.

Rick Biarritz

Okay, here goes.  Two separate lines of numbers...
773 78L 78U L
D 01A 63L57 3 099261

What color is my carpet?  Thanks.

Guidematic

The 773 is the number you are looking for. 78 L and 78 U are the paint colours. L for lower and U for upper. This can be confusing since this is how they differentiates 2-tone paint jobs. The "U" is generally the over riding colour, and the colour on single tone cars.

773 also denotes a leather interior. If the car had a vinyl roof, there would be a code followed by the suffix "T".

78 denotes Dark Autumn Maple Metallic, but I do not have access to the trim codes at the moment.

Mike

Rick Biarritz

Sounds good.  Hope you can find those codes.   :)

Thanks.

Guidematic

I have some RPO quick check books around here somewhere, just can't put my hands on them at the moment.

Mike

76eldo

Red mats are truly red, the maroon ones are very dark reddish-brown.

Many Eldo coupes had the maroon interior, all the convertibles had RED, White, or blue.  Look at similar cars on ebay and you will see the difference.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Walter Youshock

Courtesy of Craig Wexelblatt:

773=interior color code 77...Sales lit. name is Dark Maroon. Not sure if the "3" is for
sierra leather, or Prima cloth.  GM ordering name for this color is Dark Maple. Carpet
color name is the same. Need to do further research to find if both Eldorado models used Tampico carpet material.

78L and 78U are the body colors, L for lower, U for upper. Matching numbers indicate that this is not a two-tone car.

L at the end of the line in the code stands for Lacquer paint.

After the 78U there should have been another three digit number for the accent stripe. The absence of this number may mean the car left the factory without pinstripes.

Next line:

D= 1983

01A=The time the car was built, possibly first shift.

63L57= Eldorado 2-door coupe

3= should equal the plant code, however, there is no such plant code for "3" for 1983. The correct codes aree as follows; 9=Fleetwood, H=Flint, M=Lansing, P=Pontiac.

099261=The broadcast number of the car (could be different than the last six digits of the VIN.

Hope this helps. All info came from Cadillac sales and factory literature.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham