News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Be careful of cheap transport companies!

Started by Cadillac Jack 82, March 08, 2018, 10:51:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cadillac Jack 82

So this story is not regarding a Cadillac however its a stern warning to those looking for a cheap way to transport vehicles.  I recently sold my 1940 Chevrolet in order to purchase a 1955 Coupe Deville.  The buyer is located in California and I'm located in Virginia.  After the buyers cashier check cleared I mailed him the title and he selected a company to ship the car out to California. 

The first sign of trouble was the utter lack of communication between the broker/transport company to both me and the buyer.  Finally after two weeks of waiting I received a call on Friday stating that a driver would pick up the vehicle on Saturday or Sunday.  On Saturday I received a call that the truck driver would be there to pick up the car at 9PM.  The next sign of trouble was that the 9PM pickup time ended up turning into 11:10PM.  When the driver arrived he gave a very quick survey of the car, marked a few S marks for "scratches" (the car was dusty but not scratched), and then told me to sign the form.  When I questioned his markings he said "I am expert I know what to do" in very thick accent.  I signed the form and he appeared to carefully drive the car into the double decker transport trailer.  After ensuring that the car was safe I left.

Now here's where things get really messed up.  The car arrives last night (Wednesday) in California at the residence of the new owner.  The truck driver hurriedly dropped off the car on the opposite side of the divided street and ran up to the new owners house.  He demanded his money and told the owner to sign the transport paperwork without inspecting the car.  The owner, seeing the car across the street, signed the form.  The truck driver ran back and jumped into his rig and left immediately.  When the owner walked up to the car he found obvious paint and metal damage to the roof.  He also found a cracked window which wasn't there beforehand.  When the owner called the truck company they instantly offered 400 dollars to "settle the issue".  Right now the owner is working with the company which seems to be cooperative.  Its very unfortunate however this happens all of the time with truck companies.  Be smart, do you research, and avoid crappy situations like these.
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

e.mason

Periodically, this topic comes up.  In the way of advice, and speaking from personal experiences.  First and foremost AVOID BROKERS AT ALL COST.  Yes they are cheaper, but you only get what you pay for.  Go with the experienced pros.  I personally have great experiences with Passport.
Eric Mason

Jim Miller

I'd need two attorneys. One to go after the carrier and one to defend me.
Jim Miller

1941 6219
1949 6237X
1970 CDV
2021 XT6
Past:
1991 SDV
1999 DeElegence
2006 DTS
2013 XTS
2016 SRX

D.Smith

Rule #1.  Always get recommendations from people you know.

Rule #2:   Always inspect the car upon delivery before signing for it.   
Not that the pain of the sight of that hurts any less, but it will make the claim easier hopefully.

Cadillac Jack 82

I feel just as upset as the new owner does.  If I had more garage space I would have kept the car.  Hopefully he can get it repaired soon.
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

59-in-pieces

I too have had cars I bought shipped across country - NE to Calif.
I was there when the car was loaded along with the seller, and paid balance of price when on the truck.
I took pictures of the cars - all sides and focused in on the existing damage.
I took pictures of the truck rig - door side identity of Co and license plates of the trailer and tracktor, and looked at driver's license.
I noted on the shippers form where there was damage - he reviewed it and he and I signed off.

Observation - both cars - with several years between - from the East side of the country were shipped on open car carriers, with top and bottom levels.
Part of the risk is that if your car is on the bottom, it must be moved in and out before the cars on the top get delivered - best to be loaded in front on top so last off.
As it happened a windshield got cracked - $500+ - but no quibbling with the company based on the photos and driver's sign off.

Oh by the way - why is it in my 2 situations and the OP's experience did the shipper load up at 11:00+ at night - thought I was going to be mugged both times - my wife kept our rental car running for a fast get away in case things wet south.

If and when I do it again, I will go with a top name - Reliable or others - and avoid the anxiety, and not be so cheap = maybe pay 2X as much, gulp.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

e.mason

Allow me to describe my experiences with Passport.  First they use dedicated equipment to transport cars.  They have enclosed trailers and only haul 6 vehicles.  3 on top 3 on bottom.  The trucks tailgate drops down to a elevator.  They put the car on the elevator and lift it to the top level.  If your car is on the bottom, they roll out plastic the entire length of the trailer to protect cars on the bottom from any liquids.

They inspect the vehicle for any damage before loading.  You get to inspect the vehicle when it is delivered. Best of all, you don't pay until the vehicle is delivered.  The driver keeps you, via cell phone, of his progress.  Due to the size of the rig, you will need to have the car picked up and delivered at an very accessible area.  They were able to come down my street on on one shipment.  Last shipment I met them at a large parking lot for delivery.  Pricey?  Yes, but not outrageous, and well worth it for the peace of mind.
Eric Mason

76eldo

I've done a fair amount of vehicle shipping and have had mixed results.
More good than bad bit the bad was pretty bad.

If you can find a driver-operator that's the best way to go but even with that I had a car sent to Chicago that had damage.

There's a lot of Eastern European thugs dragging cars all over the country.
Problem is when you book a transport you don't know who is going to actually be doing the work.
I've had a lot of great Russian drivers too but it's a crap shoot.

Buyers need to insure the cars right away and find out who's coverage is in play when the car is being transported.

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS