News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1979 thru 1985 Eldorado A pillar rust

Started by e.kempton, June 16, 2019, 04:56:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

e.kempton

I am wondering what is the cause of the rust that is found on the lower A pillar of many 1979 thru 1985 Eldorados I have seen over the years?  It is mostly on the right hand pillar at the bottom close to the windshield.  Even the nicest rust free car could have this problem.  Is there a fix so it will not happen again?   Any thoughts on this problem?

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I believe that this is caused by a sound deadening material slipped inside the A pillar. You have to remember that GM only made these cars with a shelf life of 10 years. Luckily, my 1981 Seville with the same construction spent twenty years in storage so I haven't had a problem with mine.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

goob

Up here in the northeast, those things would rot out when they were 2 or 3 years old. I used to split the pillar and dig out as much of the sealer / sound deadener as possible, then repair the damage I created. Ah...the good old days!!

TMoore - NTCLC

Is the car has a sun roof, I believe the drain tube runs down the passenger side A-pillar.  Check to make sure that the hose is not blocked or leaking.

bcroe

I would point out, the rust proofing of cars has never involved
those pillars.  If you remove the moulding, you see this bare
metal.  If there is any kind of windshield leak, it rusts fast.  I
have considered doing a treatment there myself.  Bruce Roe