News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1949 Series 6207 Radial Tires

Started by kens49Caddy, June 13, 2020, 01:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kens49Caddy

Hi - I'm replacing my existing bias ply tires with new radials after many years of good service. I purchased my originals from Coker Tires many years ago and they performed well. I'm also looking at the Diamondback tires and they recommended the 820R15 as a good replacement.

My 1949 Cadillac Shop Manual specifications indicate the 8:20x15, so that looks like a good match if comparable.

Does anyone recall if radials will result in a deduction of points when entering your vehicle into the Club's national judging competition? If so, I guess you would need to swap out the tires. Thoughts? 

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Ken,

Don't forget that following the change to radials, you will need to have a wheel alignment to get the best from the Radials.

The Factory Specifications are not fully compatible with Radials.

An older Wheel Alignment facility, or one with reasonably-aged operators should know what is required, as one can't simply go by the computer directions.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Jay Friedman

Yes, radials will result in a deduction of points when entering a vehicle into the Club's Grand National judging competition.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

jdemerson

Quote from: Jay Friedman on June 13, 2020, 11:49:29 PM
Yes, radials will result in a deduction of points when entering a vehicle into the Club's Grand National judging competition.

Jay is correct for all cars entered in Primary Division Classes. In Touring Division Classes, there is no longer a deduction for radials on cars originally equipped with bias-ply tires; the radials must be the equivalent size as the original (or optional) bias-ply tires. The Touring Division Class also allows conversion from 6-volt to 12 -volt and conversion from drum brakes to disc brakes. These changes were all first in effect in 2019.

John Emerson
1952 Cadillac Sedan 6219X
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn