News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Identify VIN on 39 La Salle Coupe

Started by Mark Maron, January 22, 2007, 06:14:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Maron

Can anyone tell me what my VIN numbers means...if anything
mark

Number #237472
1939 La Salle

JIM CLC # 15000h

01-22-07
MARK, First things first, you dont have enough numerals, La-Salles had seven(7)digits. 1939 had S/Ns 2290001 to 237472. 1940 La Salles had S/Ns 2320001 to 2330382. Off hand I would have to say that the engine has been replaced at some point in time. Assuming you got the S/N number from the engine and not the frame by the steering box.
HTH
Good Luck,JIM

Mark S. Maron

Quote from: JIM CLC # 15000h01-22-07
MARK, First things first, you dont have enough numerals, La-Salles had seven(7)digits. 1939 had S/Ns 2290001 to 237472. 1940 La Salles had S/Ns 2320001 to 2330382. Off hand I would have to say that the engine has been replaced at some point in time. Assuming you got the S/N number from the engine and not the frame by the steering box.

Jim??? read your message you say that the serial ended at 237472 ??? and you say 7 digits..what i am not seeing here. hehehehe
and let me ask WHERE exactly should i get the number from....the engine or the steering box??
Mark
call if you like 800-650-2357

JIM CLC # 15000

01-22-07
Mark, I made a mistake when typering the S/N range for the 1939 La Salle The S/N range for the 1939 model year was; 2290001 for the first car off the line and 2313002 was the S/N of the last car off the line. The S/N, you will find on top of the frame, by the steering sector. I hope this post straighten things out.
HTH
Good Luck,JIM

Mark Maron

The correct number is 2307472, they left out the "0" can you help with what that means...please to this car!
thanks Mark

JIM CLC # 15000

01-23-07
Mark, You say in your latest post that "they left out the "0".
Assuming that your engine S/N is 2307472 then it falls in the string of S/N for a 1939 La Salle. The source that IAM useing show that a total of 23,001 La Salles were made in 1938&39 and yours was the 7,472nd car to come off of the assembly line and there were 5,530 made after yours. ( Assuming about 200 or less were built each month).
Good luck,JIM

mark maron

Can you tell me by the vin how many of my MODEL were made or should i say what number in the string of cars was mine in the model Opera Coupe, or is that something that i have to send to caddy archive and the 50.00 for information on??
mark

JIM CLC # 15000

01-24-07
Mark, Sorry, The information you are seeking can not be obtained from the S/N. The book  "La Salle", Cadillacs companion car is the only source That I know of that would have that information. Maybe someone else would look that up and post it.
Good Luck,JIM

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Both the McCall and the Hendry Cadillac books give the production of the "La Salle Series 50 Coupe for two or four passengers" as 2,525. Cadillac didnt use the "opera coupe" nomenclature although its often referred to as that because of the opera seats. The 39-5027 with that very low production figure was the second-biggest seller in the La Salle line for 1939.  The best-selling 39-50 was the Four Door Touring Sedan with a production of 15,688...so there was a huge gap between the first- and second-best selling La Salles that year as well as several 39-50s with very low production numbers.

Mark Maron

Quote from: Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397Both the McCall and the Hendry Cadillac books give the production of the "La Salle Series 50 Coupe for two or four passengers" as 2,525.
Based on what you say that would really make the car , or that model, the 2 door coupe VERY rare for that year.. if i read you correctly?
mark

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

All La Salles are rare now, Mark. If I remember correctly, there are about 300 total in the club from the entire La Salle production run, 1927-1940. Your car is rarer than the four-door sedan, but there are several models with lower production totals, including the two-door sedan, the sun-roof sedans (both two and four door), the convertible coupe (1020) and the convertible sedan (185).  Even though your car is much rarer than the four-door sedan, its worth little, if any, more than the one in comparable condition and that would apply to all the closed body styles (with a possible small premium for those with sun roofs). The real extra worth comes (as it always does) with the convertible coupe and more so with the convertible sedan.

Mark Maron

Thanks for some great info, i will keep you informed when she arrives
thanks again
mark

mark maron

Is there any data base that tells us what is out there in each model left., i would really be interested in knowing how many of each coupe there still is?
mark

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Mark, according to the 2007 club directory, there are 4 39 2dr sedans and 40 coupes belonging to members. If youre not yet a member of the Cadillac and La Salle Club, it will be the best $35.00 youll spend in the hobby this year. It will give you the annual directory, 12 issues of the very well-done Self Starter magazine and free access to the technical advisor for your car which will be a real help in restoring and maintaining your car. Each year there is a Grand National meet(this year in Savannah) as well as a driving tour and other activities. I guarantee youll be glad you joined.

mark maron

Quote from: Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397Mark, according to the 2007 club directory, there are 4 39 2dr sedans and 40 coupes belonging to members. If youre not yet a member of the Cadillac and La Salle Club, it will be the best $35.00 youll spend in the hobby this year. It will give you the annual directory, 12 issues of the very well-done Self Starter magazine and free access to the technical adviser for your car which will be a real help in restoring and maintaining your car. Each year there is a Grand National meet(this year in Savannah) as well as a driving tour and other activities. I guarantee youll be glad you joined.

As a matter of fact i did join and i am waiting for all the papers and a number i guess in the mail
So far it has been very helpful in many ways
mark