News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

What to expect at CLC GN??

Started by Charles, May 28, 2007, 02:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charles

Okay, I'm considering going to Savannah for the CLC GN in august. What all should I expect? How many cars usually show up, and will I be 'shunned' for not keeping my car 100% original? Just wondering if it's worth the drive from florida with no A/C ;)

Charles
Charles Phelps CLC #23665
1951 Cadillac Convertible
1953 Cadillac Coupe
www.hotrodcaddy.com <--my Blog
[img]http://www.shoretelforums.com/pictures/Caddy4.jpg[/img]

eacoy

Hello Charles,

You can expect to meet people you may not otherwise ever meet. And, these are nice, friendly, knowledgeable people who could become your close friends as well as people who could help you to take care of just about anything to do with your car. The camaraderie is the best part. My husband and I went to our first GN in 1996. It was in Dallas. It was hot. We knew nobody, but to this day we are still good friends with people we met there. Nobody is going to "shun" you for not having a 100% original car. But if you want it 100% or as close to it as possible you will meet people who can help you achieve your goal. Yes, it is going to be hot and without A/C it may be unbearable at times but you will not be disappointed.

Johnny F #662

Quote from: eacoy on May 28, 2007, 03:34:32 PM
Hello Charles,

You can expect to meet people you may not otherwise ever meet. And, these are nice, friendly, knowledgeable people who could become your close friends as well as people who could help you to take care of just about anything to do with your car. The camaraderie is the best part. My husband and I went to our first GN in 1996. It was in Dallas. It was hot. We knew nobody, but to this day we are still good friends with people we met there. Nobody is going to "shun" you for not having a 100% original car. But if you want it 100% or as close to it as possible you will meet people who can help you achieve your goal. Yes, it is going to be hot and without A/C it may be unbearable at times but you will not be disappointed.

Eacoy just about said it all.  The only think I would add is that I would encourage you to enter your car in the show on Saturday and have it judged.  It will be a great opportunity to find out what isn't original and tips on how to make it original.  I might add that participation in a GN is at your own pace.  In other words, you can come and go as you want, and attend the events that you find most interesting to you.   I would recommend at least registering for the GN, registering your car for the show on Saturday, and the awards dinner on Saturday night.  Everything else is optional.  You can sight-see at your leisure. Savannah is a great city to sight-see, and I am sure you will enjoy it.  If you haven't gotten hotel reservations yet, I think the 2 Host Hotels might be sold out by now, but you can stay at any of the many hotels in the area.  Just do a search on your PC and pick one according to your budget.  I too am coming from Florida, Tampa Bay area, but having a '85 Eldo, will have the comfort of A/C.  So register for the GN, the sooner the better....

Johnny F #662

By the way Charles, if that is your car pictured in your message, it is great looking and will make a great presenatation at the show on Sat. at the GN.

Jack McClow CLC #15840

Hi Charles,

I just saw your post ....... I'm the registrar for the Savannah event, and I most certainly do hope you will join us.  We are expecting over 300 registrations for the event ....... this translates into 600 to 700 enthusiastic Cadillac and LaSalle members, family members, and guests in and around the Riverfront Marriott Hotel for four days or so ......... in you love Cadillacs and LaSalles, you'll never be in better company.  And we expect approximately 200, maybe more, Cadillacs and LaSalles to be registered for the show.  You should definitely add your's to the roster.  And I've never met anyone at a Grand National who wasn't interested in meeting others in the club; I've made almost all of my best friends through the CLC and the Grand Nationals, and I'd like to meet you, too.  Everything that's been added to your original post is absolutely true, except for this:  we still have rooms available at the alternate hotel ......... The Mulberry Inn is just a block from the host hotel, and is still are still accepting reservations at our heavily discounted club rate of $125 per night plus taxes.  This is a beautiful, historic hotel, and will meet your every need and expectation.  So send in your registration and plan to join us .......... this will be the closest Grand National to you in south Florida for some time to come, so make your plans and come on up. 

If you have any other questions, or if you need any other information, please give me a call or send an e-mail:  jack@mcclow.com or 301-330-5417.

We'll all look forward to seeing you at the Cadillac Corporate sponsored welcome party on Wednesday, August 1st, and have a safe trip to Savannah in your Cadillac.

Charles

The car in my signature is mine. I'm not all for 100%. I'm keeping her close, but she is a driver. She's a 10 footer if you will.

Is there a schedule of events posted somehwere? If I did make the trip, I would definetly take part in the saturday show.

Charles
Charles Phelps CLC #23665
1951 Cadillac Convertible
1953 Cadillac Coupe
www.hotrodcaddy.com <--my Blog
[img]http://www.shoretelforums.com/pictures/Caddy4.jpg[/img]

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Charles,

You will be surprised at just how many "Modified" Cadillacs and LaSalles that will be in attendance.

I know of a number of Members of the Modified Chapter that will be there, so you will just have to keep a look-out for all those JimBob hats.

Bruce. >:D
President of the Modified Chapter
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Big Fins

Hi Charles,
   I'm driving a modified '59 to Savannah from Ft. Lauderdale. I will admit to putting in A/C, because I do like to drive the car whenever I want to.
It's no fun sitting in traffic in the pouring rain with the sweat dripping off you and the windows fogging up. This will be my 1st GN and I have a countdown on the days written on my desk calender.

Have JimBobs hat--Will cruise.

Come and enjoy the festivities and meet some new friends.

60 days to go !!!

Fins
Sec/Tres MCLC

Jack McClow CLC #15840

I just checked with the alternate hotel, The Mulberry Inn.  They still have approximately 10 rooms available per night at our special CLC rate of $125, plus taxes ....... parking for one car is free per room.  I've asked if we can add more rooms if needed ....... "it's possible" I was told, but the hotel is close to being sold out, so no guarantees beyond those remaining in our original block.  The Mulberry Inn is located less than one block from our host hotel, the Riverfront Marriott, and is a very beautiful, historic hotel with normal rates in excess of $200 per night.  To reserve, please call toll free:  1-877-468-1200.  To view their website, go to: www.savannahhotel.com .  If you need more information on the Savannah GN, please e-mail me:  jack@mcclow.com or call Mike Posey:  1-800-238-0359.  Thanks for your interest in our upcoming Grand National ........ will look forward to seeing you all there.