News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Coming home from 2022 G.N. Our 55 Fleetwood Misfiring!!

Started by Bob Kielar, July 04, 2022, 12:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Tassie Devil(le)

The damage that is shown in the pictures lead me to believe that this engine has been suffering for an extremely long time.

Any sudden, and recent problem would show up in clean, damage, but the pictures show so much carbon build up, that it is impossible to see what is new.

The divots out of the face of the valve are old, and as Dave said, detonation will cause this, and lead to destruction and melting of parts.

Bruce. >:D

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Poncholover

Nasty. "sorry for your loss"
Saw a race motor one time where the broken valve head piece made it through the exhaust cross over into the other side and destroyed that cylinder too!I would not have believed it if I had not seen it.
Flattie Caddy

Bob Kielar

Latest update: Heads at machine shop they are trash! Someone in the past welded in #4 cylinder exhaust port. The Cadillac has only 36,000 miles on her my theory is that when they started the Cadillac after being stored for so long they didn't do it properly. Then just did a quick repair and sold her. I have had her for 12 years and she ran fine up to now. Luckily about six years ago I bought a set of heads from a fellow member that was moving from Wisconsin to Georgia. He wanted to get rid of some spare parts so I bought them just for the heck of it. Wife gave me one of those stares at the time now she is happy I bought them I just smile. :D

Keep Cruzin,
Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

Lexi

All serious Caddy enthusiasts especially from this era should have an extra set of heads. Clay/Lexi

Bob Kielar

Well things went from bad to worse. The machine shop can not repair the engine it has a cracked block. So if anyone knows of someone with a spare 55 331 engine let me know.
Thanks,
Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

David King (kz78hy)

David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

V63

These were high compression engines and we do not have the required fuel anymore, so the issue becomes timing too far advanced or retarded. Also complicating things might be timing chain wear.

I wonder if there is an association in #1 and #4, different banks but are they both sisters in the 4 stroke cycle?

Bob Kielar

Thanks for all the replies.

Regards,
Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

Bob Kielar

Update on Annie (55 Fleetwood). Well it has been a long time in between updates. The original block was "rebuilt" at one point it had numerous cracks in the block and one cylinder sleeve, also I believe #4 cylinder head exhaust chamber was welded so maybe that is what caused the valve to break. I purchased a 55 331 engine from a follow CLC member. It is a long block excluding the water pump,starter,carb,generator,exhaust manifolds,and distributor. I estimated the weight at 500 lbs, with the crate it weighed in at 620lbs. FedEx did not hold up the shipping they just billed me later. The machine shop in Janesville is swamped with work and are down to three employees and can not find any qualified help. The process has taken awhile but good news the block was cleaned and magna fluxed and there are no cracks. Now it is waiting in line to get bored .030 over,decked,heads rebuilt,and the crankshaft turned. The crankshaft has to be sent to another shop because he has no one to run his crankshaft machine. At least it's winter and the roads are full of salt. Hopefully Annie will be ready this spring.

Keep Cruzin,
Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

Lexi

That is good news. Thanks for the update and keep them coming. Good luck with this process. Clay/Lexi

Bob Kielar

Thanks Clay,
This is the engine that the rebuilt check valve will be used.
Regards,
Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

Bob Kielar

Update: Engine back from machine shop. Look at all that good stuff. :D

Keep Cruzin,
Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

CadillacFanBob

Bob, that sure looks purdy on the floor, will look great when assembled and in the car.

Bob
Frankfort, Illinois

bcroe

This sort of thing, with correct fuel no longer
available, is why only engines built for unleaded
are used here.  More cubic inches will compensate
for lower compression.  good luck, Bruce Roe

Bob Kielar

Annie patiently awaiting her new engine. ;D
Keep Cruzin,
Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

Bob Kielar

Engine starting to be assembled. :D
Regards,
Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

Bob Kielar

Head's ready to be installed. :D
Keep Cruzin,
Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

Lexi

That is a beautiful sight. Will be nice to get this behind you, and hopefully just in time for cruizin season (at least up here). Clay/Lexi

wheikkila

It's looking good. Do you have a way to run the engine before you install it?
   Thanks Wayne

Bob Kielar

Yes Wayne thanks for asking. The engine will be run on a stand that has a radiator and all the appropriate gauges to monitor the engine. The engine will be run long enough to break in the new cam. Then it will sit on the stand overnight and test run again to see if it needs any further adjustments. The shop has a dyno. but no way to mount the engine to it. If all goes well fingers crossed the engine will be tested the end of next week.

Keep Cruzin,
Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood