News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1961 Jetaway transmit Rebuild

Started by Clewisiii, March 02, 2023, 12:07:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clewisiii

I have a question for the group.  I am debating paying someone to go through my transmission, or do it myself. 

I am fairly mechanically inclined but I do not know what the failure modes for this transmission are. 

I have no idea if my existing trans was in great shape. Or just a brick. 

How brave do you think you would need to be to open it and at least replace seals and clutches yourself. 
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Dave Shepherd

Not without the shop manual, look at some of the special tools required  also.

TJ Hopland

What do you have for general tools around your shop?  Any ability to make tools?  Can you weld?  Any machine tools?

People that have a lot of random tools and the ability to fabricate and improvise tools seem to have a decent shot at something like this.   Things like various seal installers and pullers?  You run into an issue and can then modify or combine those tools to replicate the special tool you don't have.   

If you don't have those sorts of skills and tools around I don't know that I would try it.  Just things like making some sort of a holding fixture can make a big difference.     
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Chicken Coupe

Heres my post

https://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=171045.0

Message Roger Zimmerman.  What issues are you having? I am in same boat

wheikkila

I have rebuilt many transmissions. On the older ones, you have to find a manual. Take lots of photos. And be prepared for the sheer weight of the transmission. I would also have a plan B should it go bad.
            Thanks Wayne   

Series75

How many decades are you planning for this restoration?  Consider the risks of rebuilding the first time, then having to wait until the car is roadworthy to assure a quality job, if not then pulling the trans, correcting etc.  Experts are made from experience. 
Tom CLC #6866

Eldovert

I say go for it.You seem to be fairly technically adept.Just look through the manual and see what special tools are being used and how you might accomplish a task.Inexpensive tools are available.
You could get a core transmission to tear apart to practice on..that should give you an idea if you want to tackle the job.
Cheers,Pat MacPhail

Clewisiii

The clutches and seals arrived IMG_20230306_173101074.jpgIMG_20230306_184745434.jpgIMG_20230306_191729982.jpg   
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

dplotkin

Quote from: Clewisiii on March 02, 2023, 12:07:39 PMI have a question for the group.   I do not know what the failure modes for this transmission are...

The controlled coupling Hydra-Matic 315 is a pretty good unit after 1957. Most common failure is a crack in the front coupling cover that won't hold pressure and 4th gear; and hardened O ring at coupling cover. The reverse cone clutch can be damaged too. But beyond that this box has only one friction shift, the rest is flush and fill and the band is more hold than grab so they tend to last.

Dan
56 Fleetwood Sixty Special (Starlight silver over Dawn Grey)
60 Buick Electra six window
60 Chrysler 300 F Coupe
61 Plymouth Savoy Ram Inducted 413 Superstock
62 Pontiac Bonneville Vista
63 Chevy Impala convertable
63 Ford Galaxie XL fastback
65 Corvette convertable 396
68 Chrysler New Yorker

Roger Zimmermann

Did you order the steel plates for the clutches? Usually, it's not necessary, unless they are distorted (I saw that once).
The new steel discs for the rear clutch (7 pieces) are just flat; the original ones are slightly waved preventing an harsh apply. If possible, I'm always using the original ones.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Clewisiii

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on March 08, 2023, 03:18:01 AMDid you order the steel plates for the clutches? Usually, it's not necessary, unless they are distorted (I saw that once).
The new steel discs for the rear clutch (7 pieces) are just flat; the original ones are slightly waved preventing an harsh apply. If possible, I'm always using the original ones.

I ordered the rebuild kit from David Edwards at Autotran.us.  so it is whatever he sold.

Roger Zimmermann

It's also my supplier. However, you can order his rebuilding kits with or without steel discs. Saves some money!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Chicken Coupe

I wish you luck man.   I am willing to try the rebuild also.  Can you do us a favor and keep us updated.  Maybe include any tools that worked for you. Or ones you made.    I appreciate it.
Good luck buddy.  You got this!

Chopper1942

I did some of these "back in the day" and they are not as complicated and the newer transmissions.  Some parts probably are hard to get or repaired.  The teardown and rebuild is not that difficult. Take lots of pictures as you take it apart for reference when reassembling.  Install new steels and fiber clutch disks. Don't skimp on parts because of price to save a few bucks.  It's a lot of work to take back out and redo.  Soak the fiber clutches in Dexron III for an extended time before installing in the trans.  Get a jar of Transgel to lube the clutch seals and to hold pieces in place.  Get a set of trans seal installers (look like small screwdrivers without sharp edges) to install the clutch pistons in housings.  Most tool dealers, Snap On, Mac, etc will have them.  Get a service manual for the trans if possible.  They used to have a service manual strictly for the trans. The factory OH manual will also have most of what you need to do the rebuild.  You won't have a seal installer for the coupling, but you can take a 2x4 and bore a hole larger than the turbine shaft in it and use a piece of plastic or metal pipe to seat the seal.  That way when you tap the seal in place, you won't dent or distort the seal.  Coat the seal lips and the inside of the seal where the spring is with Transgel to hold the spring in place.  Make sure the spring didn't pop out of the seal after seating the seal.

Remember, cleanlyness is of the upmost importance. If the internals and case have a lot of varnish and you can't clean it off, take the parts to a trans or machine shop and have them cleaned for you. There are some very good soap based cleaners that do a very good job.  Once the parts are cleaned and blown dry cover them to keep from being contaminated.  Absolute do not use cloth rags to wipe parts and some paper towels are just as bad.  They leave lint which can get in the valve body and cause stuck valves and/or plug up the trans.

Get a good torque wrench and torque everyhing to OE specs.
Take your time and if not sure about something, ask.

PS:  ATF does a good job of cleaning your hands!

Roman_cadillac

I rebuilding 59 cadyy hydramatic, It`s fun.  I found many information on this forum. 

this topic https://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=150731.0  good information for rebuild

I make many photo restoration process

My problem is location. Part is taking over a one month to be shipped

Clewisiii

Well I decided to pay to have it done.  I will be dropping it off in Livonia Michigan Wednesday morning.

Roger Zimmermann

Roman, you have a nice place to work, way nicer than mine; I appreciate the pictures you did with all the parts! My location to get the parts is also rather remote, but it seems that your post is working as you got my locking bolt!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Chicken Coupe

CLewis, Do you mind me asking how much you were quoted for the rebuild?

Chopper1942

Roman, you have the hard part done. Cleaning.  It looks terrific!  Lube everything with ATF. Before installing the valve body, air pressure check clutches and band application to verify they are OK.  They should pop on and off.

Clewisiii

Quote from: Chicken Coupe on March 14, 2023, 07:50:40 AMCLewis, Do you mind me asking how much you were quoted for the rebuild?

$1500 plus parts. I already have the master kit I bought for $400.  He charges $500 for a master kit. He said normally expect $2100 in total.